Imagine a Z7iii as a leica Q3 bargain alternative?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

wotan1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
The Leica Q3 makes a statement as a high mp sensor camera with fixed 28mm lens that uses cropping to zoom in. To many an ideal street shooter. Compact and lightweight.

now imagine a new Z7iii comes in at 60mp sensor and is as light as the Z7ii. Now you can put a pancake 28mm or even 40mm on it and do the same thing.

Could this be a Q3 game changer and make an ideal street camera?

I invite your speculation.

The Leica Q3 makes a statement as a high mp sensor camera with fixed 28mm lens that uses cropping to zoom in. To many an ideal street shooter. Compact and lightweight.

now imagine a new Z7iii comes in at 60mp sensor and is as light as the Z7ii. Now you can put a pancake 28mm or even 40mm on it and do the same thing.

No. With all due respect to Nikon, it doesn't have that red dot, which is what allows venerable Leica to charge what they are charging. I dont think that there is another brand that can charge that for a fixed-lens "rangefinder." None.

As far as performance, there are already cameras on the market that do that with the same 60mp sensor (eg Nikon A7C R).

Last edited:
I think it would certainly do ok as an alternative to the Q3 but there is also something about an actual fixed lens camera. I shot with the X100T for a few years and even though I also had an X-Pro2 with the small and lightweight 23mm + 35mm f/2 lenses it is a different experience. I don’t think you really gain enough crop ability with 60MP so would like to see an expanded line of pancake lenses. If they could add a 75mm that is still somewhat small. Personally, I think the ZfR concept of the current Zf with the Z7ii sensor would make an interesting would be an interesting idea.

No. With all due respect to Nikon, it doesn't have that red dot, which is what allows venerable Leica to charge what they are charging. I dont think that there is another brand that can charge that for a fixed-lens rangefinder. None.

As far as performance, there are already cameras on the market that do that with the same 60mp sensor (eg Nikon A7C R).
I loved my M2s but they were very reasonable used when the M4 came out. I fondled the M11 and a few others at the Leica table but went over to the Nikon table for my next camera.

It won’t be a game changer (for Leica fans)
The look and feel, the fact every camera is handbuilt, the quality of the lens, the durability, the better haptics and the red dot justify* the high price of Leica.
You’ve got to shoot one to understand that.
* Only if you’re willing and able to pay topdollar for a fixed lens compact camera.
If the still hypothetical pixelcount of the Z7III (60 MP or even 90MP) happens to be correct it might be a more budgetfriendly alternative with a larger feature set and more possibilities but in all honesty it’s a bit like comparing apples and oranges. (Compact vs Systemcamera)

Last edited:
It won’t be a game changer (for Leica fans)
The look and feel, the fact every camera is handbuilt, the quality of the lens, the durability, the better haptics and the red dot justify* the high price of Leica.
You’ve got to shoot one to understand that.
* Only if you’re willing and able to pay topdollar for a fixed lens compact camera.
If the still hypothetical pixelcount of the Z7III (60 MP or even 90MP) happens to be correct it might be a more budgetfriendly alternative with a larger feature set and more possibilities but in all honesty it’s a bit like comparing apples and oranges. (Compact vs Systemcamera)
I think hand assembled with machine made parts probably describes it best. Not just one person, multiples down an assembly line, each doing their own bit. Many photographic products require some level of human intervention.
I’m not saying that they aren’t quality cameras, just don’t overplay the hand built / handcrafted from the Leica promos.

Back