Immature Least Tern

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've gotten into capturing images of birds in flight over the last two-three years; this is an image of a Sandwich Tern taken off of Lido Beach, near Sarasota this past summer. Critique is welcome...always looking to learn.

Immature-Least-Tern.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Camera: D500, 500PF, 1/3200 @ f/7.1, ISO 800

Last edited:
Love the bird, the pose and the background is nice and simple and non-distracting. The tern needs to be looking into more space, though as per the classic guide rule. I do
like it though!!
I agree with your suggestion RE the tern looking into space…I‘ve given thought to using PS to extending and filling the canvas, yet I wanted to hear what others thought, and there was a certain tension in the composition I enjoyed as well. Thank you for your comment!

This is actually a Sandwich Tern. I can only echo the comments above, everything is really nice but the crop needs to have more space to the right. Exposure is spot on!
Thank you for the ID on the bird…I wasn’t sure! I‘ve corrected the original post. Thank you for your comments as well.

Back