Immature Night Heron

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ralph

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I’m guessing it is an immature Black-Crowned Night Heron
Nikon D500, Nikkor AF-P 70-300. f/4.5-5.6. FX

196F5B61-8D44-4900-A516-D602AE493DFC.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Yah. I had just bought the D500 and was experimenting with the settings. I was concentrating so much on the eye and the exposure that I lost sight of the tips of the feet. I did have some shots of the whole bird but not as sharp as I wanted. Since I never used a DSLR before I was enamored with the spot focusing, hadn’t learned about Backbutton focusing and didn’t realize you could move the focusing point. I’ve come a long way in a year. But still learning a lot.

Yah. I had just bought the D500 and was experimenting with the settings. I was concentrating so much on the eye and the exposure that I lost sight of the tips of the feet. I did have some shots of the whole bird but not as sharp as I wanted. Since I never used a DSLR before I was enamored with the spot focusing, hadn’t learned about Backbutton focusing and didn’t realize you could move the focusing point. I’ve come a long way in a year. But still learning a lot.
I too learnt a lot watching Steve's videos. BBF is very good and if set up correctly can make life very easy. Practice, patience & perseverance and you shall master it soon.

ID correct IMO. Cutting off part of the subject - par for the course if you are too close with a non-zoom, and even then, you may be too close!. I still do it. especially shooting handheld on a moving subject!

Back