In awe of owls

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

kkr_images

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I just finished listening to Jennifer Ackerman read her excellent book "What an owl knows: The new science of the world's most enigmatic bird." This is a terrific book, reminding me how incredible owls are. I am in awe of owls with their remarkable hunting skills and ability to live in such diverse habitats on all of the continents but Antartica.

So, today I am posting a few owl images I have taken. The top two images of Great Gray Owls were taken last summer in central British Columbia during a workshop with Jess Findlay and Connor Stephanison. The picture of the Great Horned Owl with three owlets was taken in a park near my house in San Francisco showing that owls can breed successfully even a highly urban environment. The final image of a Burrowing Owl was taken in Richmond, California on a rocky shore between the San Francisco bay and a very busy dog park. This owl is very "chill" and does not seem at all perturbed by all the joggers, frisbee players and free running dogs.

I am lucky to have many other owl images that I will post in the future. Or, you can check out my Owl album on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kkr_images/albums/72157720068587805/with/52422555932
Great Gray Owl heads off for more food copy 2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Great Gray Owl chicks all looking for Mom to come in with dinner.jpg
Great Horned Owls three chicks and a parent at nest California copy.jpg
Burrowing Owl- A winter visitor.jpg

I just finished listening to Jennifer Ackerman read her excellent book "What an owl knows: The new science of the world's most enigmatic bird." This is a terrific book, reminding me how incredible owls are. I am in awe of owls with their remarkable hunting skills and ability to live in such diverse habitats on all of the continents but Antartica.

So, today I am posting a few owl images I have taken. The top two images of Great Gray Owls were taken last summer in central British Columbia during a workshop with Jess Findlay and Connor Stephanison. The picture of the Great Horned Owl with three owlets was taken in a park near my house in San Francisco showing that owls can breed successfully even a highly urban environment. The final image of a Burrowing Owl was taken in Richmond, California on a rocky shore between the San Francisco bay and a very busy dog park. This owl is very "chill" and does not seem at all perturbed by all the joggers, frisbee players and free running dogs.

I am lucky to have many other owl images that I will post in the future. Or, you can check out my Owl album on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kkr_images/albums/72157720068587805/with/52422555932View attachment 83243View attachment 83244View attachment 83246View attachment 83247
Lovely images , fantastic set Kathy.
Happy trails.

I am lucky to have many other owl images that I will post in the future. Or, you can check out my Owl album on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kkr_images/albums/72157720068587805/with/52422555932View attachment 83243View attachment 83244View attachment 83246View attachment 83247
Kathy, awesome images! You’ve made the most of your opportunities. 👍👍👍

Back