Independent RSF (recall shooting function) values (Shutter speed, Aperture) not possible in separate Z9 shooting banks

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have found that I cannot have separate RSF speed and aperture setting in different Banks. eg I wanted an RSF of 1/3200 F4 in Bank A and an RSF of 1/320 F7.1 in bank B. The software (Firmware 2.1) would retain the 1/320 F7.1 in Both A & B banks assuming I updated B after A. If I updated the RSF settings of A after B I would get 1/3200 F4 in both RSF setting in banks A & B. I would be interested if anyone else agrees and can replicate the problem. Other RSF settings such as AF and subject detection seem to work fine and can have different RSF values in individual banks.

If you want different RSF settings, I think you have to set them up in separate custom banks, not the shooting banks (and their extensions). You can set up 4 RSF combinations with the 4 custom shooting banks.

If you want different RSF settings, I think you have to set them up in separate custom banks, not the shooting banks (and their extensions). You can set up 4 RSF combinations with the 4 custom shooting banks.
That is what I am doing! Try and set different RSF speeds and apertures in the custom setting menus, f2 custom controls shooting, recall shooting function (hold). I can’t get different speeds and apertures in banks A & B.

Just to make sure we are saying the same thing, there are 4 Photo Shooting menu banks and 4 Custom Settings menu banks. They are different. Changing Photo Shooting menu bank from A to B does not change the Custom Settings menu bank.

You can put a different RSF in each of the Custom Setting menu banks (4 total). You can use the F2 to set custom controls — they are saved in a Custom Settings menu bank, not the Photo Shooting menu bank.

So if you change the Photo Shooting menu bank (and do not change the Custom Settings menu bank), you get only one RSF combination.

Just to make sure we are saying the same thing, there are 4 Photo Shooting menu banks and 4 Custom Settings menu banks. They are different. Changing Photo Shooting menu bank from A to B does not change the Custom Settings menu bank.

You can put a different RSF in each of the Custom Setting menu banks (4 total). You can use the F2 to set custom controls — they are saved in a Custom Settings menu bank, not the Photo Shooting menu bank.

So if you change the Photo Shooting menu bank (and do not change the Custom Settings menu bank), you get only one RSF combination.
The Custom setting Menu banks contains the custom controls f2. I am using that to try and set different RSF speed and aperture in Banks A & B and find I cannot. I have one other patron on youtube who has just said ge agrees that it cannot be done and seems to be a bug in firmware 2.1

I think I see what you mean. And I am sorry that I did not understand your question initially.

Just got my Z9 out. I thought I had one custom bank set up with RSF hold to do BIF (20 fps, 1/3200, and f1.4 so wide open). And a second custom bank set up to do wildlife portraits (5 fps, 1/1250, and f1.4 so wide open). But I see that both of them use the same shutter speed and it is the last one I set up. I do not recall seeing this issue when I set it up in the past — that was probably before firmware 2.1 and I adjusted it when 2.0 added a hold feature. But perhaps I missed the issue. And on my last couple of outings I have used the custom bank with the BIF settings without switching to another bank. Unfortunately, I don’t have any more time to look at it tonight, but something seems to be going on. I want to go back and look at Brad Hill’s comments on RSF and banks and see if he has seen this issue.

Last edited:
I think I see what you mean. And I am sorry that I did not understand your question initially.

Just got my Z9 out. I thought I had one custom bank set up with RSF hold to do BIF (20 fps, 1/3200, and f1.4 so wide open). And a second custom bank set up to do wildlife portraits (5 fps, 1/1250, and f1.4 so wide open). But I see that both of them use the same shutter speed and it is the last one I set up. I do not recall seeing this issue when I set it up in the past — that was probably before firmware 2.1 and I adjusted it when 2.0 added a hold feature. But perhaps I missed the issue. And on my last couple of outings I have used the custom bank with the BIF settings without switching to another bank. Unfortunately, I don’t have any more time to look at it tonight, but something seems to be going on. I want to go back and look at Brad Hill’s comments on RSF and banks and see if he has seen this issue.
Thanks for the confirmation. I think it is a bug admittedly in a fairly extreme corner of the software, but I think Nikon needs to go after it to render the banks Independant of each other with respect to the RSF function.

Yes I agree.
I've tried different combinations, but it is the different shutter speeds that are not being saved into respective Custom Banks; basically the the latest shutter speed set in one RSF overwrites the same active field in the other RSF setups.

It is a bug. In testing, the separate Custom Banks do maintain different configurations of saved settings in the respective banks. This includes turning off Shutter Speed and other fields.

So Bug :rolleyes:
The More of us reporting this the better. Hopefully Nikon also add a couple more fixes, including
1. the ability to have at least 3 different RSF setups in each Custom Bank,

2. Option to assign a metering mode as a Custom function,

3. Option to assign Toggle Subject Recognition On/Off as a Custom function

Yes I agree.
I've tried different combinations, but it is the different shutter speeds that are not being saved into respective Custom Banks; basically the the latest shutter speed set in one RSF overwrites the same active field in the other RSF setups.

It is a bug. In testing, the separate Custom Banks do maintain different configurations of saved settings in the respective banks. This includes turning off Shutter Speed and other fields.

So Bug :rolleyes:
The More of us reporting this the better. Hopefully Nikon also add a couple more fixes, including
1. the ability to have at least 3 different RSF setups in each Custom Bank,

2. Option to assign a metering mode as a Custom function,

3. Option to assign Toggle Subject Recognition On/Off as a Custom function
Thanks, do you know of a mechanism to report such bugs back to Nikon Engineering?

I have found that I cannot have separate RSF speed and aperture setting in different Banks. eg I wanted an RSF of 1/3200 F4 in Bank A and an RSF of 1/320 F7.1 in bank B. The software (Firmware 2.1) would retain the 1/320 F7.1 in Both A & B banks assuming I updated B after A. If I updated the RSF settings of A after B I would get 1/3200 F4 in both RSF setting in banks A & B. I would be interested if anyone else agrees and can replicate the problem. Other RSF settings such as AF and subject detection seem to work fine and can have different RSF values in individual banks.
Yes -- this is a know issue and NOT bug. It was a choice by Nikon.
Many have sent feedback to Nikon directly or via NPS asking for an update.
Various lists of bugs/issues and requested additional features - including Thom Hogan's exist

Yes -- this is a know issue and NOT bug. It was a choice by Nikon.
Many have sent feedback to Nikon directly or via NPS asking for an update.
Various lists of bugs/issues and requested additional features - including Thom Hogan's exist
Curious to know what reasoning might lead to Nikon intentionally allowing only one shutter speed across multiple RSFs in different Custom banks.

Last edited:
Curious to know what reasoning might lead to Nikon intentionally allow only one shutter speed across multiple RSFs in different Custom banks.
I agree! why not have speed "greyed out" in Banks B to D if it was a deliberate design decision. Looks and feels like an opportunity for Nikon to make it work like the Bank philosophy suggests it should. I filed a report with Nikon, so we shall see what they say. I'll report back to the board whn I get a response.

Response from Nikon Tech Support as promised:

Question details:
Independent Recall shooting function speed & Aperture selection in Banks
Created: 08/26/2022 by Email | Reference #: 06007276
Response from Brianna M.
Thank you for contacting Nikon.

Sounds like a bug, I'll get this passed up for you.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reply to this email. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 9am-8pm EST.

Regards,
Brianna M.
Nikon Technical Support

Response from Nikon Tech Support as promised:

Question details:
Independent Recall shooting function speed & Aperture selection in Banks
Created: 08/26/2022 by Email | Reference #: 06007276
Response from Brianna M.
Thank you for contacting Nikon.

Sounds like a bug, I'll get this passed up for you.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reply to this email. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 9am-8pm EST.

Regards,
Brianna M.
Nikon Technical Support
Thanks for raising this with Nikon.

Back