Ink Jet Printer Options

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a Canon PRO 200 for prints and a Canon TR8620 for general office use. Both of these are dye printers - I have limited and disappointing experience with pigment printers and I prefer the look of dye printers and photo-type paper. I do not have ink clogging with these printers at all, but I do buy more ink than I would like.

Either of my printers can produce a better print than I get from a lab (I use Miller's) but I have never compared them to a smaller specifically fine art lab. I tend to proof with prints and make small corrections based on the prints I see. I also find that some images do not print well but are good electronically while others are better printed. I do use a lab for larger prints (I'm limited to 13x19), metal prints, and large quantities while using my printer to fix errors (usually mine) rather than sending it back to a lab.

All that to say, although the cost is about the same, having a photo printer in my studio is a worthwhile addition.

Back