Is it safe to buy a used Z8 or Z9 without verifying it is a us model

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

wotan1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am considering adding another body most likely z9. I have seen favorable prices on various sites including KEH and MPB and even Amazon. However even B H states regarding its used cameras that they are not able to verify they are US models.

What if I need service? Am I not going to be able to bring it in to a Nikon authorized shop to have it serviced if it is not a US market model?

You'll be out of luck getting a "gray" market camera repaired. I don't know why they would say they can't verify that the used cameras are US or not. I believe all of the US Z cameras have serial numbers beginning with 300xxxx, as this website shows:
Retailers won’t verify gray market status because Nikon doesn’t publicize serial numbers shipped to each country. As stated above, Nikon USA will not repair gray market products. Some authorized retailers may do so, but they are sometimes limited by parts availability from Nikon. If you’re going to buy a high-priced used product from a retailer, find out if the retailer offers a service contract and consider purchasing it.

I’ve always avoided purchasing gray market. For me the savings is not worth the risk. I was looking at a new D700 years ago the dealer was honest and admitted it was a gray market and I passed. I’ve purchased 3 used lenses from a local dealer, he knew the history of the lenses and was able to confirm that they were all US product. Over 20 years of dealing with am I’ve always found him fair and honest.

Retailers won’t verify gray market status because Nikon doesn’t publicize serial numbers shipped to each country. As stated above, Nikon USA will not repair gray market products. Some authorized retailers may do so, but they are sometimes limited by parts availability from Nikon. If you’re going to buy a high-priced used product from a retailer, find out if the retailer offers a service contract and consider purchasing it.
This is my number one complaint about Nikon. It refuses to allow the consumer to determine if a product is gray market or not and yet allows authorized Nikon retailers to sell gray products which it will then refuse to service. I understand and have no problem with Nikon saying no warranty on gray products. But refusing to service a product for payment that the consumer cannot even identify while allowing Nikon retailers to sell gray products is very customer hostile.

Reportedly Nikon USA will not service models that were not sold in USA. So yes, you will be out of luck. Best to buy Nikon refurbished (direct) or from someone on this forum who can tell you where they bought it.
That seems to be their policy in most countries. If you buy grey, the price difference needs to be sufficient to be worth the risk.

i buy from panamoz ,3 year warranty

This is my number one complaint about Nikon. It refuses to allow the consumer to determine if a product is gray market or not and yet allows authorized Nikon retailers to sell gray products which it will then refuse to service. I understand and have no problem with Nikon saying no warranty on gray products. But refusing to service a product for payment that the consumer cannot even identify while allowing Nikon retailers to sell gray products is very customer hostile.
The SN should begin with 303 for USA. I too am looking for a 2nd Z9 so I asked the seller to send me the serial number. I then wrote to Nikon with that SN and asked if
a) it was a valid USA model
b) if that SN had been reported as lost
Their answer gave me the assurance.

Back