Is there too much going on ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

For this to be an engaging image ?
Blyth's Starlings at the feeder

NZ8_7779 Basic Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I think it works. Could look good as a vertical crop, maybe 4 to 5 ratio. The mossy branch on the left doesn't really add to the scene, nor the space to the right. Just don't crowd it too much. The oof bird in back could be cloned out.

It is really hard to judge how sharp an image is at this size and after down sizing. I think a shot like this has potential....but needs a larger DOF so that at least a few of the birds are in focus.

It's busy for sure but it shows their behaviour.
Thank you.
Works fine for a behavioral shot. Never seen this species before. Pretty birds.
Thank You
Other than cropping it a bit tighter, I think the image works very nice.

Very well done.
I'll try cropping? perhaps a square crop ? Will post a cropped image below. Thank you.
Although it could well be described as 'busy' or 'a lot going on', that's exactly what made me examine every part of the canvas on this particular occasion. Like it, nice shot.
Thank you. Glad you like it it.
Very nice photo.
Thank you so much.
What do you mean by "engaging"?
About a third of the birds are significantly obscured by other birds or outside the available depth of field.
The bill colour of the modestly out of focus bird closest to the camera indicates it is not the same species as the rest of the group.
Okay !
Seems to me the point of an image like this is exactly that there IS a lot going on. It's a good picture.
Thank you.
I think it works. Could look good as a vertical crop, maybe 4 to 5 ratio. The mossy branch on the left doesn't really add to the scene, nor the space to the right. Just don't crowd it too much. The oof bird in back could be cloned out.
I'll post a cropped vesrion. Thank you.
It is really hard to judge how sharp an image is at this size and after down sizing. I think a shot like this has potential....but needs a larger DOF so that at least a few of the birds are in focus.
It's when I was editing the picture that I wished for DOF. Iagree , would have much better with more birds in focus. Thank you.

Back