Is VR Effectiveness Variable with Change in Camera Attitude?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Warren D

So, I think I've been noticing something, here goes. My observations are specific to Nikon and their VR as that is what I shoot. I've been seeing this for several years now, so it would appear that there isn't much of a difference between F and Z mount lenses.
As I increase the up-angle of the camera/lens, it seems to me that the VR becomes less effective, especially with panning. I use Sport mode almost 100% of the time and my observations are across a significant number of lenses so I suspect it's in the design.
Some examples, shooting old aircraft as they approach, I have less up-angle as they are farther away and less side to side motion from panning, but as the a/c gets closer, my panning speed increases as well as the up-angle. Same situation with BIF. I've noticed a drop in VR performance when an a/c is making a higher pass as opposed to a lower pass (same a/c). As I said, I've been seeing this for years and I have lots of time shooting this venue. Same with the BIF's, lots of time in the field.
I've tried to explain it away as other things but it's just too consistent. I'm not saying it's a big difference, but it is noticable to me.
Wondering if Steve has any thoughts?

I have not noticed it, but I have asked myself the question if it would be like that.
Depending on how the acceleration sensor works, it would totally make sense to me that shooting vertical is not what the VR is primarily made for.
On the other hand it makes sense that approaching aircrafts require faster camera movements and therefore decrease VR performance, but if I understood correctly it works better when the plane approaches at low altitude so you don't need to shoot vertical.

So, I think I've been noticing something, here goes. My observations are specific to Nikon and their VR as that is what I shoot. I've been seeing this for several years now, so it would appear that there isn't much of a difference between F and Z mount lenses.
As I increase the up-angle of the camera/lens, it seems to me that the VR becomes less effective, especially with panning. I use Sport mode almost 100% of the time and my observations are across a significant number of lenses so I suspect it's in the design.
Some examples, shooting old aircraft as they approach, I have less up-angle as they are farther away and less side to side motion from panning, but as the a/c gets closer, my panning speed increases as well as the up-angle. Same situation with BIF. I've noticed a drop in VR performance when an a/c is making a higher pass as opposed to a lower pass (same a/c). As I said, I've been seeing this for years and I have lots of time shooting this venue. Same with the BIF's, lots of time in the field.
I've tried to explain it away as other things but it's just too consistent. I'm not saying it's a big difference, but it is noticable to me.
Wondering if Steve has any thoughts?

Just thinking aloud it wouldn't surprise me if there was a slight impact. When level the VR wouldnt have to fight gravity as much, so torque could maybe happen when tilted upward.

Last edited:
I think Nikon designs gear mostly for sports photogs and they mostly shoot level. Once you start pointing toward the sky, I think something in the mechanism loses some of it's function. Hard to prove without Nikon admitting the design is like that and I'm sure they won't offer any info!

I don't know about VR, but I sure notice a change in focusing when MY camera changes attitude! Sometimes it is in a down-right pissy attitude and nothing I can do seems to please it!

I use Sport mode almost 100% of the time
I think its harder to keep the subject steady in the frame in vertical attitude anyway and its probably as close to you as its going to get thus making it even harder to track smoothly. Panning can soon transition into flapping.
If VR is affected; I would imagine sports mode would be the worst because I always thought that its best/designed for panning. By design, helping to prevent side to side motion blur on a subject thats moviing along a horizontal plane.

Back