Is VR Killing Your Battery Life + Are You Wearing It Out?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

@Steve

So @Steve are you suggesting that modern Nikon Z lens don't care - so if there is a 10% chance you might need it just leave it on - even if you might end up 90% of the time with a high shutter speed. The lens and camera doesn't care?
The Z cameras and lenses do seem better to me. I certainly don't lose any sleep over leaving VR on or off. I do try to remember to shut it off when my shutter speeds are fast, but it's really tough to see if there's any difference. However, I have seen this vary from lens to lens in the past, so I'm still cautious.

Thanks for doing this evaluation. The Z9 does take a lot more from the EN-EL18d battery than was the case with the D850 or D5, so I do tend to carry an extra battery on outings. But it is good to know that VR is not a serious factor in battey charge life. It is also another aspect where the Z9 with its use of the EN-EL18 battery is better than a Sony with its 30% lower capacity NP-FZ100 battery. This was a key factor in my decision to go to the Z9 camera and lenses.

The 5% difference between VR and no VR is impressive.
It mainly seems to mean that the amount of energy used by the VR functionality is extremely low, and this indicates that the elements used to achieve it are particularly light.
Modern technologies are impressive.

Thanks for doing this evaluation. The Z9 does take a lot more from the EN-EL18d battery than was the case with the D850 or D5, so I do tend to carry an extra battery on outings. But it is good to know that VR is not a serious factor in battey charge life. It is also another aspect where the Z9 with its use of the EN-EL18 battery is better than a Sony with its 30% lower capacity NP-FZ100 battery. This was a key factor in my decision to go to the Z9 camera and lenses.
Battery life between the Z9 and the a1 is interesting. I have a video coming soon that will compare the two cameras where I tested this. The thing is, if you use single batteries, the Z9 wins, if you use the battery pack with 2 batteries, the a1 wins. When it's time to charge, the a1 battery charges a single battery faster, but can't get two done in the time it takes the Z9 to get one done. Of course, if you have a pair of chargers for the a1, it's faster.

It's enough to make my head spin LOL! I think I need to go somewhere and use a camera for something other than testing!

Of course, if you have a pair of chargers for the a1, it's faster.
@Steve Do not forget that Sony proposes this equipment to load up to 4 batteries at once. I have two of them and they work perfectly ;)

See... Sony NPA-MQZ1K Multi Battery Adapter Kit

Note that 2 * NP-FZ100 batteries are included in this kit.

Image from Sony site:

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 08.41.21.png

Last edited:
Great video Steve! I shoot primarily a Z9 with a 500PF. I routinely keep sport VR on since I primarily handhold and it gives me a more stable image in the viewfinder, as I’m not as steady as I used to be. It’s nice to know that it’s not a significant loss in battery life. Thank you for taking the time!

Note that 2 * NP-FZ100 batteries are included in this kit. Which makes the set interesting regarding € / $.
I was about to buy it and saw it only charges one battery at a time. When that one is done, it moves on to the next. So, I saved some money :) (My charging cable allows me to do two simultaneously for $8 since I already own the chargers :) )

I was about to buy it and saw it only charges one battery at a time. When that one is done, it moves on to the next. So, I saved some money :) (My charging cable allows me to do two simultaneously for $8 since I already own the chargers :) )
It is true that the batteries are charged in turn. But it’s still interesting to put 4 batteries to charge and go to bed quietly, enjoy a good night’s sleep, and find them charged the next morning.
This accessory can be connected to the cigarette lighter port of cars and also serve as a charger.
In addition, its adapter allows to use it directly as a power supply to replace the N-FZ100 of the camera.

But I also understand your financial perspective :)

At least you know it exists ;)

I had the 500PF on a Z9 for a few minutes in a shop. It seemed to me as if the lens' VR didn't move at all, even with VR switched on, and only IBIS was active, since I didn't hear the typical sound of the VR.
Anyone can confirm this?

I had the 500PF on a Z9 for a few minutes in a shop. It seemed to me as if the lens' VR didn't move at all, even with VR switched on, and only IBIS was active, since I didn't hear the typical sound of the VR.
Anyone can confirm this?
VR and IBIS always work together. It's a case where either both are on or neither is. There's no way to separate them.

@Steve Do not forget that Sony proposes this equipment to load up to 4 batteries at once. I have two of them and they work perfectly ;)

See... Sony NPA-MQZ1K Multi Battery Adapter Kit

Note that 2 * NP-FZ100 batteries are included in this kit.

Image from Sony site:

View attachment 54101
I believe this is so you can run a camera with 4 batteries for extra run time. But for charging it’s only one battery at a time. Cheaper ways to charge batteries and with usb a power bank is a lot cheaper.

Thank you ever so much for this video, Steve. Just the other day, I was listening to the VR from my 400 f2.8E FL VR operating all the time and wondered about how much it impacted the battery life. I'm glad that there is little to worry about. :D

@Steve
As you may remember, you didn't buy the Sony multi-charger as it's only able to charge one battery at a time.
Good news : JUPIO proposes this guy, for Sony, Canon and Nikon batteries...
It can charge 3 batteries simultaneously (USB-C connector).
It can be used as a charger as well.
And it can store memory cards.
It's here

No battery included in the package.

jupio-pr1me-gear-tri-charge-en-el15-front-led-1000x1000-jpg.png

From JUPIO site:

"1.Storage
With the use of premium materials we managed to make a product that houses and protects your NP-FZ100* camera batteries, SDHC memory cards, micro SDHC cards and CFexpress Type-A cards. All in one sturdy housing.

2.Charger
But not only is the Tri-Charge a convenient storage for your NP-FZ100* batteries, it is way smarter than that because it is a fast charger as well. Just plug in the included USB-C cable and it will charge all 3 NP-FZ100* batteries simultaneously. When using a USB-C to USB-C cable in combination with a PD (Power Delivery) USB-adapter, then each of the 3 batteries is charged simultaneously with a charging current of 700mA. Each battery bay is equipped with 4 orange LED-lights, which indicates the charging status of each battery.

3.Powerbank
But the fun does not stop here, because the Jupio Pr1me Gear Tri-Charge has a third personality and that is being a powerbank. When the NP-FZ100* camera batteries are full of energy, you can use this to power all your other USB-devices like your smartphone, tablet or you name it. Connect it with the included USB-C cable and with a charging speed of 2.0A your smartphone or tablet will be recharged."

@Steve
As you may remember, you didn't buy the Sony multi-charger as it's only able to charge one battery at a time.
It's here

View attachment 79216

From JUPIO site:

"1.Storage
With the use of premium materials we managed to make a product that houses and protects your NP-FZ100* camera batteries, SDHC memory cards, micro SDHC cards and CFexpress Type-A cards. All in one sturdy housing.

2.Charger
But not only is the Tri-Charge a convenient storage for your NP-FZ100* batteries, it is way smarter than that because it is a fast charger as well. Just plug in the included USB-C cable and it will charge all 3 NP-FZ100* batteries simultaneously. When using a USB-C to USB-C cable in combination with a PD (Power Delivery) USB-adapter, then each of the 3 batteries is charged simultaneously with a charging current of 700mA. Each battery bay is equipped with 4 orange LED-lights, which indicates the charging status of each battery.

3.Powerbank
But the fun does not stop here, because the Jupio Pr1me Gear Tri-Charge has a third personality and that is being a powerbank. When the NP-FZ100* camera batteries are full of energy, you can use this to power all your other USB-devices like your smartphone, tablet or you name it. Connect it with the included USB-C cable and with a charging speed of 2.0A your smartphone or tablet will be recharged."
That looks pretty cool :)

I'll check it out, but I ended up just getting a split power cord so I can charge two batteries in two Sony chargers at once :)

In terms of the VR mechanism wearing out I have had the autofocus module fail completely after less than 2 years on a 70-200mm f/2.8E and a 600mm f/4E. Thanks to the greatly shortened Nikon lens warranty I paid out of pocket to have both lenses repaired at a total cost of more than $1,000.

I do not worry about battery life as it is easy to carry a spare battery in the field. With the D1 cameras I needed to have a Quantum battery pack on my belt to power these cameras and so the battery life of cameras from the D3 and later are very frugal in battery demand by comparison.

In terms of the VR mechanism wearing out I have had the autofocus module fail completely after less than 2 years on a 70-200mm f/2.8E and a 600mm f/4E. Thanks to the greatly shortened Nikon lens warranty I paid out of pocket to have both lenses repaired at a total cost of more than $1,000.

I do not worry about battery life as it is easy to carry a spare battery in the field. With the D1 cameras I needed to have a Quantum battery pack on my belt to power these cameras and so the battery life of cameras from the D3 and later are very frugal in battery demand by comparison.
Sorry to hear about your AF failures. Were these lenses in daily use, and were you the original owner? I agree that Nikon eliminating the 5-year warranty was a bit concerning, but I have not heard that many stories of AF failure around the 2 year mark.

--Ken

@Steve
It's here

View attachment 79216

From JUPIO site:

"1.Storage

2.Charger

3.Powerbank
I’m glad to see options but using USB C and charging 3 batteries at once is going to be super slow!

Re the JUPIO triple-charger above: too bad they didn’t include those memory card storage slots as readers…

[The Nikon version is currently sold out.]

Back