If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The Isle of May, off the east coast of Scotland is home to a wide variety of wildlife but probably best known for its visiting puffins. Here are some shots from a trip there yesterday - I got wet but it was worth it. For anyone reading this who followed my post on woes with the D500 and 300mm Nikkor PF, these were self-inflicted ...

Puffin_1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Puffin_2.jpg

Puffin_3.jpg

Puffins_1.jpg

Rock talk.jpg

The Isle of May, off the east coast of Scotland is home to a wide variety of wildlife but probably best known for its visiting puffins. Here are some shots from a trip there yesterday - I got wet but it was worth it. For anyone reading this who followed my post on woes with the D500 and 300mm Nikkor PF, these were self-inflicted ...

View attachment 18706

View attachment 18707

View attachment 18708

View attachment 18709

View attachment 18710
Excellent Shots Bill! One of my favorite birds. I only had one opportunity many years ago to photograph them back in the film days . Spent a few days on an island off of Newfoundland. They are very quick little buggers. đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Great shots of these beautiful birds! They're one of my favorite birds. I had the opportunity to see them on Lunga Island on the west side of Scotland during a bicycle trip to the Outer Hebrides but had only a small bridge camera with me. Well done (y)

Those are super! I’m also learning my way around the D500 and the 300mm PF. I am really fussy about ”tack sharp” and found that shooting it at f/4 really makes a difference,

Super sharpness on your pictures!

Excellent Shots Bill! One of my favorite birds. I only had one opportunity many years ago to photograph them back in the film days . Spent a few days on an island off of Newfoundland. They are very quick little buggers. đź‘Ťđź‘Ť
Thanks Robert. Yep, they are lightning fast and it's not helpful that they fly so low.

Great shots of these beautiful birds! They're one of my favorite birds. I had the opportunity to see them on Lunga Island on the west side of Scotland during a bicycle trip to the Outer Hebrides but had only a small bridge camera with me. Well done (y)
Thanks Jaap. It's easier for me to get to the East Coast locations, but hoping to go back to the Hebrides (inner and/or outer) later this year to chase the sea eagles.

Those are super! I’m also learning my way around the D500 and the 300mm PF. I am really fussy about ”tack sharp” and found that shooting it at f/4 really makes a difference,

Super sharpness on your pictures!
Thanks Andrew. The advice in Steve's e-book is great - if you haven't done so yet, download it.

Very nice indeed Bill đź‘Ť I went to the Isle Of May a few years ago, unfortunately it was very misty (it was Scotch mist i.e. fog!) so the Puffins were mostly keeping off shore. Plan to go back at some point in the future and try to get to Skromer which is also good for Puffins.

Last edited: