Issue using Bridge to download photos

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've always used bridge to download my pictures from my memory card that's inserted in my Apple Studio.
Yesterday I attended the air show in Grand Junction, CO and took almost 1,600 pictures.
When I tried downloading those pics less than 200 were downloaded.
I panicked thinking that somehow the card became corrupted and my pictures were lost.
I put the card back into my camera and saw all the pictures were there.
I eventually figured out a work around using Finder.

Why wouldn't Bridge download all the pictures?

Rick…

How do you download files using Adobe Bridge?

I do the following:
  1. Remove the card from the camera and place it in a card reader.
  2. Open Bridge and select files to be downloaded.
  3. Right-click and choose option Batch Rename.
  4. In the Batch Rename dialogue box choose COPY to other folder. Don't choose MOVE as that will delete files from the card.
  5. Rename the files (date & time or subject) as they are copied.
  6. Return card to camera: the images will still be on it.
I've had no problems. Always keep it simple… and safe.

… David

Last edited:
Rick…

How do you download files using Adobe Bridge?

I do the following:
  1. Remove the card from the camera and place it in a card reader.
  2. Open Bridge and select files to be downloaded.
  3. Right-click and choose option Batch Rename.
  4. In the Batch Rename dialogue box choose COPY to other folder. (Don't choose MOVE as that will delete files from the card.)
  5. Rename the files (date & time or subject) as they are copied.
I've had no problems. (Always keep it simple… and safe.)

… David
David, thank you for your reply.
I do it similarly but don't use the Batch Rename option.
I put the card in my Mac go to Bridge and select Get Photos from Camera.
The photo uploader window appears and I select where to get the data from and where to transfer them to.
Always worked OK for me but never tried downloading more than 300 pictures at a time.

I'll give your method a try.
Thanks again.

Apart of the limitation in the number of files, I was disappointed by the speed of the bridge connection.
When I started using USB card reader supporting USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) the speed improved dramatically. But it is somewhat off your original topic.

This issue of the Photo Downloader not showing all of the photos in Bridge (sometimes) for me is a recent glitch. The only workaround I have used is to check twice, i.e., run the Downloader twice to check to be sure that the number of images is the same. Transferring the images using the "get photos from camera" function does not erase the card, so all is not lost if Bridge does not read all of the photos the first time. And yes, it's a pain, and if it continues I will resort to old fashioned "copy and paste" ways of transferring files to the computer.

With my Olympus cameras there is a further issue, that there are two different files shown as including images, even though there is only one on the card itself. Sometimes all of the images are in both files, but sometimes they are divided-with-overlap. It's a pain and I can end up with duplicates.

Finally, often when I use CFExpress cards (for my Nikon Z9) Bridge does not recognize the card at all. So I use the copy all-and-paste method.

Overall, Bridge Photo Downloader is not on my "good list" these days; I should probably consider an alternative program for transferring imagesl

Apart of the limitation in the number of files, I was disappointed by the speed of the bridge connection.
When I started using USB card reader supporting USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) the speed improved dramatically. But it is somewhat off your original topic.
I haven't experienced a speed issue using Bridge.
Using my Mac Studio it takes less than a minute to download 200-300 Raw files.

This issue of the Photo Downloader not showing all of the photos in Bridge (sometimes) for me is a recent glitch. The only workaround I have used is to check twice, i.e., run the Downloader twice to check to be sure that the number of images is the same. Transferring the images using the "get photos from camera" function does not erase the card, so all is not lost if Bridge does not read all of the photos the first time. And yes, it's a pain, and if it continues I will resort to old fashioned "copy and paste" ways of transferring files to the computer.

With my Olympus cameras there is a further issue, that there are two different files shown as including images, even though there is only one on the card itself. Sometimes all of the images are in both files, but sometimes they are divided-with-overlap. It's a pain and I can end up with duplicates.

Finally, often when I use CFExpress cards (for my Nikon Z9) Bridge does not recognize the card at all. So I use the copy all-and-paste method.

Overall, Bridge Photo Downloader is not on my "good list" these days; I should probably consider an alternative program for transferring imagesl
From what I've read I think this issue started with the latest update.
Hopefully they will fix it in the next update.
I'll see what happens the next time I try to use it.

Back