Issues with firmware update for Nikon D850

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
I formatted a SD memory card and copied the latest firmware to it in the root directory.
I went to do the update within the camera, but the Update option was not available under the Firmware version setup menu - it only displayed Done.

I do not have a QXD memory card - only a SD one so I selected SD as the Primary source.

Any suggestions?

Be sure to copy the firmware to the root directory of the memory card. The camera will not recognize the new firmware if it is placed in a folder under the root directory. Disconnect the camera from the computer. what is the current version on the camera? and what are you try to go to?

Does Nikon recommend reseting everything to default settings before updating firmware?? don't remember...

The rootdirectory is where the .bin file should reside.
Did you format the card in camera?
Did you extract the .bin file first from the .dmg file on your PC then copy the .bin file to the root of the SD card?

Found part of my issue.

I have a windows machine and copied the .exe file to the SD card instead of the .bin file.

But still have an issue. I tried to run the .exe on multiple windows machines and it does nothing. It doesn’t open up a folder containing the .bin file.

Any other ideas?

Anyone do this on a Windows 10 machine?

go to Nikonusa and re-download the file to your PC... Double click to run the EXE. open the folder and copy the .BIn file too the SD or XQD card.. turn camera off insert card turn camera on... should find it at that point the video Steve posted shows everything you need to know. When you click on the EXE file it should just open folder with the bin... if not try right clicking on the .EXE and run. or post your camera and what firmware version and I can sent it you your email address already to go.

Gordon

Yes, I upgraded my: D850, D5 and D500 using Windows10 machines.

As Gordon suggests above if double clicking the downloaded .exe doesn't launch the extraction you might try right clicking the downloaded file and hit RUN or perhaps RUN as Administrator if you see that option.

Found part of my issue.

I have a windows machine and copied the .exe file to the SD card instead of the .bin file.

But still have an issue. I tried to run the .exe on multiple windows machines and it does nothing. It doesn’t open up a folder containing the .bin file.

Any other ideas?

When you click on the .exe file, it does not open a window. It will unpack the files into the browser's default "downloads" folder. If you go back to the browser window and click on the (...) button - depending on the browser it could be vertical or three bars instead - and then click on "downloads," you'll see the original .exe file and a .bin file listed. Make sure the date of the .bin file or the file name (it has the version number in the file name) is correct, then copy the .bin file to the root directory of the SD card. It should work.

My D850 firmware is up to date but I just downloaded and extracted the firmware from Nikon USA on my Windows10 machine just to go through the steps. I did this using Firefox as my browser.

- Go to Nikon USA's D850 firmware page and download the compressed file
- Go to your Downloads and Open the Containing Folder
- Copy the file(F-D850-V1111W) and paste it to your desktop or a new folder you create just for this
- Go to the desktop or new folder and Right Click the compressed file from Nikon and click Run as Administrator
- A new folder called D850update will be created in the same folder where you moved the file (e.g. Desktop or a new folder created for this purpose)
- Double click on that folder to open it up and you'll see the actual .bin file inside the newly created folder(d850_0111.bin) this is the file you copy and paste to the root directory on your memory card.

Does Nikon recommend reseting everything to default settings before updating firmware?? don't remember...

That would be a REAL nuisance Gordon, like not remembering things LOL. (j/k)
But no you don’t need to reset your (camera) settings.

@Bill G.
Don’t forget to update the lens distortion control data too.

READ the how-to carefully there’s a section on the downloadpage explaining how to update C and LD step by step.

Last edited:
That would be a REAL nuisance Gordon, like not remembering things LOL. (j/k)
But no you don’t need to reset your (camera) settings.

@Bill G.
Don’t forget to update the lens distortion control data too.

READ the how-to carefully there’s a section on the downloadpage explaining how to update C and LD step by step.
Lol I have to do that when I do a firmware update to my fishfinders... couldnt remember if the camera were the same.. ( and I was to lazy to look it up). and you are right it a REAL pita.

As usual, thanks to Steve for the clear rundown on this.

I am probably uniquely ignorant but I do remember being very confused the first couple of times I updated firmware. I kept coming across the term 'ROOT FILE'. What the hell is a root file? I had no idea! So, for anyone in a similar state of ignorance, this means the whole file display that comes up when you open the QXD card. The DCIM and D850 files are within this. Just drop the Bin file from the download into the empty space that surrounds the other two files. Sounds simple? Yup, when you know what a Root File means but nobody ever said that! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back