If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Warren D

The 2 young osprey at this nest just fledged within the last few days. It usually takes them a week or two after they fledge before they start fishing on their own. I had been watching the 2 young ones and mom calling for fish for almost 90 minutes when to my amazement, the youngest jumped off the nest and hit the water just 20 feet away from the nest and came out with a fish. I suspect that this was his first catch! All shots with Z9 and 800pf
172906554.jpg

It almost seemed he surprized himself, he didn't quite know how to handle the fish.
172906555.jpg

He did ok, got control of the fish well enough to hold on.
172906557.jpg

Landing wasn't graceful, but he got the fish into the nest.
172906558.jpg

He got to eat some of his catch before his older sibling came and took it away.
172906559.jpg

He dove several more times but I'm not sure if he was trying to grab another fish or just enjoy cooling off. Given the time he spent in the water after each dive, it seems more likely that he was just cooling off/taking a bath.
172906572.jpg

Last edited:
The 2 young osprey at this nest just fledged within the last few days. It usually takes them a week or two after they fledge before they start fishing on their own. I had been watching the 2 young ones and mom calling for fish for almost 90 minutes when to my amazement, the youngest jumped off the nest and hit the water just 20 feet away and come out with a fish. I suspect that this was his first catch! All shots with Z9 and 800pf
172906554.jpg

It almost seemed he surprized himself, he didn't quite know how to handle the fish.
172906555.jpg

172906557.jpg

172906558.jpg

172906559.jpg

He dove several more times but I'm not sure if he was trying to grab another fish or just enjoy cooling off. Given the time he spent in the water after each dive, it seems more likely that he was just cooling off/taking a bath.
172906572.jpg
What an incredible sequence!!! Well done Warren๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

The 2 young osprey at this nest just fledged within the last few days. It usually takes them a week or two after they fledge before they start fishing on their own. I had been watching the 2 young ones and mom calling for fish for almost 90 minutes when to my amazement, the youngest jumped off the nest and hit the water just 20 feet away from the nest and came out with a fish. I suspect that this was his first catch! All shots with Z9 and 800pf
172906554.jpg

172906555.jpg

172906557.jpg

172906558.jpg

172906559.jpg

172906572.jpg
Outstanding set of photos. Thanks for sharing.

This is really an excellent set of images, Warren. And thanks for the narrative. What a cool experience. TFS.
Thanks, it was a first for me. I've watched that nest for 10 years and it's the first time I've seen a dive in that location. Add to it that it was maybe a first catch for young bird and it doesn't get much better!
Excellent Set! The first one seems special to me. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
Thanks
What an incredible sequence!!! Well done Warren๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Thank you
Lovely set of images!
Thanks
Outstanding set of photos. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you
SUPER!! Nailed it
Thanks
wonderful set of images
Thanks
Terrific set of shots.
Thanks
Super series of pics,love the eyes in no 2
Thanks

Excellent! I love the second shot with those orange eyes looking right at the camera. Osprey are so much fun to observe, I'm glad you were there for this!