Jury Awards Architecture Photographer $6.3 Million in Copyright Infringement Case

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

KurtH

Supporting Member
Marketplace
To all those that accept money for their work (i.e., the professionals, the big dogs, the top of the photog food chain, etc.), is copyright infringement a big concern for you? I'm not a pro so I was amazed by this short article. Specifically, at how long it took to right the wrong, how much the award was, and the fact that the photog's saving grace was that his/her work was "registered". If not registered, this person would have been out of luck? I find this crazy.

My guess is that it's pretty easy to "steal" photography these days and it doesn't seem like the system is there to protect the creators. Untrue?

https://apalmanac.com/business/jury...million-in-copyright-infringement-case-183042

I saw this article - I think it was on Petapixel? Glad the photographer was able to get a large reward. Even though any work (such as a photograph) is theoretically copyrighted the moment it is created, I have heard in the past the only way to get a successful judgment is to have them officially registered with the US Copyright Office. I have never done that myself, but now that I have a newly redone website with images for sale, I should probably look into it. If anyone else is interested in registering, here is the link: https://www.copyright.gov/registration/

To all those that accept money for their work (i.e., the professionals, the big dogs, the top of the photog food chain, etc.), is copyright infringement a big concern for you? I'm not a pro so I was amazed by this short article. Specifically, at how long it took to right the wrong, how much the award was, and the fact that the photog's saving grace was that his/her work was "registered". If not registered, this person would have been out of luck? I find this crazy.

My guess is that it's pretty easy to "steal" photography these days and it doesn't seem like the system is there to protect the creators. Untrue?

https://apalmanac.com/business/jury...million-in-copyright-infringement-case-183042
Those who steal work are banking on you not taking it this far or registering your work.

I have gone through this process with the copyright office 2 years ago. Images are submitted via their website and I found the online instructions confusing and redundant. Photos can be submitted in batches of up to 25 at a time, at least that was policy 2 years ago. You get an access password and go through several screens and eventually upload your pics. It cost me $55 for 3 images and about 3-4 months later I received the copyright documents in the mail… Not sure I would do this again. It was a real pain in the “🫏” , frustrating, etc. I’m not a working pro but I just wanted to go through the process to have something special that meant something to me…

Back