Juvenile Yellow-headed Caracara

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Charlie Lasswell

Supporting Member
Marketplace
20190719-_DSC9185.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Like this portrait but Are you sure it's a juvenile caracara?
I wasn't there where this was shot but I think if it's a caracara it''s a yellow-headed caracara.

Correct me if I'm wrong..........don't want to be smart-ass in this group 😜

This occurred in Costa Rica on one of Steve's Workshops. The bird was hanging out on a limb at the resort and we were able to get fairly close. After the group moved away, I lagged behind to get a better angle and this slow bug came flying along. I don't think he was actually watching the bug as he did not follow it, but at this angle, it sure looks like it. Here's the uncropped shot taken with a 600mm w/ 1.4 teleconverter. Also, because the bug is in focus, I think its actually to the side of the bird, not in its line of sight.
20190719-_DSC9185-2.jpg

Last edited:
This occurred in Costa Rica on one of Steve's Workshops. The bird was hanging out on a limb at the resort and we were able to get fairly close. After the group moved away, I lagged behind to get a better angle and this slow bug came flying along. I don't think he was actually watching the bug as he did not follow it, but at this angle, it sure looks like it. Here's the uncropped shot taken with a 600mm w/ 1.4 teleconverter.
View attachment 2225
Nice shot and I don't know how much you've already cropped this shot if you've cropped this shot?
I would suggest to crop out a bit more of the left side but that's my vision (take the subject out of the center...........but stays a great shot!

Like this portrait but Are you sure it's a juvenile caracara?
I wasn't there where this was shot but I think if it's a caracara it''s a yellow-headed caracara.

Correct me if I'm wrong..........don't want to be smart-ass in this group 😜
Yes, you're right. This is in Costa Rica and there were Yellow-headed and Crested Caracara. This is a juvenile and the mature bird looks like this:
20190720-_DSC0335.jpg

Back