Karoo Ruin on R63

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Callie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
The R63 runs from Britstown to Calvinia, about 400 kms. (South Africa) This is a ruin on the road that we shot last November en route to Cape town, off the beaten track, not via the N1 national Road. We just love the wide, open nothingness of the Great Karoo with the occasional koppies here and there.
D850; 24-120 F/4; F11; 1/125; ISO 72

00694 27X17W D850  4429.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

That’s the road to Cape Town?? 🙂
Thanks, Kathy. No, the N1 is the main road between Johannesburg and Cape Town. There are several main roads. The R63 is another main road but service other parts of the country. The image does not show the road, it is a dirt road off the main road into a farm.

Thanks, Kathy. No, the N1 is the main road between Johannesburg and Cape Town. There are several main roads. The R63 is another main road but service other parts of the country. The image does not show the road, it is a dirt road off the main road into a farm.
I assumed there was a good explanation! When I lived in a town in Bolivia, the main road (in fact, part of the Pan American highway and a major highway in Bolivia) to the town did look something like that side road. That was in 1998. The highway is now paved. The paved highway was being constructed during the time I lived in the town and it was officially opened the day I left to return to Canada - true story without exaggeration. Most of the main highways in Bolivia are now paved but many side roads look like the road in the photo.

Back