Kingfisher - bright background may work here (or not?)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This was shot from an observation hut. Unfortunately, the hut faces south - so always looking into the sun. It's also not possible to get low, so there is a lot of reflected light from the water surface.
I was lucky that this dude came and landed right in front of me, close to the minimum focusing distance.
I'm quite happy with the picture, despite the almost white background.
What do you think?

DSC_1290_DxO.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Not much you can do about the white - unless you want to do a background replacement. The kingfisher is lovely - it needs a lot more contrast - and my suggestion (yes its only a suggestion as you can do what you like) is to add a ACR filter in Photoshop, (or you can do this on the NEF straight in ACR/LR) and select the subject (via a mask) add a tad contrast, texture and a lot of clarity. And even some Dehaze - those sliders will all add to bring in more contrast and the result is very pleasing. But check them all and see what works for you. This is my suggestion as I think what is lacking is some definition because the light was really very strong. Remember you can also do the same edit (or less) to the branch/ leaf.

Last edited:
This was shot from an observation hut. Unfortunately, the hut faces south - so always looking into the sun. It's also not possible to get low, so there is a lot of reflected light from the water surface.
I was lucky that this dude came and landed right in front of me, close to the minimum focusing distance.
What do you think?

View attachment 69154
I like it👍👍

Not much you can do about the white - unless you want to do a background replacement. The kingfisher is lovely - it needs a lot more contrast - and my suggestion (yes its only a suggestion as you can do what you like) is to add a ACR filter in Photoshop, (or you can do this on the NEF straight in ACR/LR) and select the subject (via a mask) add a tad contrast, texture and a lot of clarity. And even some Dehaze - those sliders will all add to bring in more contrast and the result is very pleasing. But check them all and see what works for you. This is my suggestion as I think what is lacking is some definition because the light was really very strong. Remember you can also do the same edit (or less) to the branch/ leaf.
Thanks for your suggestions. Always useful. I don't have Adobe, I use DXO Photolab and I don't know what is ACR 😳, however, I get what you mean.
I am usually rather conservative when it comes to processing.
Photolab has something called Clear View Plus, I think it's the equivalent to dehaze. It really helped.
Here is what I got (meanwhile I have reduced microcontrast and color saturation a bit, since this might be a bit too much):
DSC_1290_DxO_1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The second edited pic looks better to me, although red and green from the plant in the upper left competes with the bird you attention, in my opinion. Can you selectively use the clear view plus on just the bird? I'm not familiar with the features of DXO products.

I am jealous that you got a close shot of this fellow. A very difficult shot to get! Nice job.

As there is/was nothing you could do about the white background, I suggest you embrace it and keep the vegetation somewhat bright. Contrast in the kingfisher makes it stand out, and the result is a striking image.

The second edited pic looks better to me, although red and green from the plant in the upper left competes with the bird you attention, in my opinion. Can you selectively use the clear view plus on just the bird? I'm not familiar with the features of DXO products.

I am jealous that you got a close shot of this fellow. A very difficult shot to get! Nice job.
You are probably right.
Yes, I can selectively use clear view plus, but I will try to simply bring down the reds (I feel the greens are ok).

If it was mine (I wish it was) using Lightroom I would

1/ On my calibrated monitor the kingfisher seems about half a stop over exposed - if you agree reduce overall exposure a bit.

2/ I would then select the sky (2 quick button presses) and cross my fingers it chooses the sky but not the vegetation. It probably would.
3/ If it does I would darken the highlights and whites moderately (any hint of grey is too much) and shift the temperature slider toward blue to get a modest blue tone in the sky.
A modest blue tone is usually more acceptable than a white sky.
4/ Then select background and apply about minus 15 Clarity to further slightly soften the vegetation
5/ Then select the subject - with around IMO a 98% chance of just the kingfisher being selected - and add about plus 15 clarity - to help the bird stand out from the background.
6/ Still on the subject - often having changed the background the subject might need minor adjustments of brightness, contrast, sharpening etc.

Total time this far in current Lightroom - under 3 minutes.

If it was mine (I wish it was) using Lightroom I would

1/ On my calibrated monitor the kingfisher seems about half a stop over exposed - if you agree reduce overall exposure a bit.

2/ I would then select the sky (2 quick button presses) and cross my fingers it chooses the sky but not the vegetation. It probably would.
3/ If it does I would darken the highlights and whites moderately (any hint of grey is too much) and shift the temperature slider toward blue to get a modest blue tone in the sky.
A modest blue tone is usually more acceptable than a white sky.
4/ Then select background and apply about minus 15 Clarity to further slightly soften the vegetation
5/ Then select the subject - with around IMO a 98% chance of just the kingfisher being selected - and add about plus 15 clarity - to help the bird stand out from the background.
6/ Still on the subject - often having changed the background the subject might need minor adjustments of brightness, contrast, sharpening etc.

Total time this far in current Lightroom - under 3 minutes.
Thanks for your input.

I am a noob in processing.
I will try to translate this to Photolab (I don't have Lightroom). Masking may not work as well there as it would in LR.
The sky actually is water surface (very bright reflections, bird in shade, difficult lighting overall). Shifting it towards blue and pretend it was sky may be a good idea.

I think Elsa is pretty spot on. I don't have PS and I do just basic edits but I would've maybe simply cut back on the white a hair, increase contrast, add a little dehaze, a little luminance, a little more 'black' and clarity to give it more punch to make the bird stand out a bit more instead of blending into the bg. I'm questioning whether a smaller aper. initially would've made this a little better. Nice shot, btw!

What do you think?

View attachment 69154
I think the white background is fine, however, the folliage in the background and in frount of the tail of the female is not supporting the picture, that could have been worked on while taking the shot may be.

Back