If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This is the resident Kingfisher at the pond and he always working it and he seems like bottomless pit. This was late last week and I've got so many photos of him I can publish a book, but I do not get bored photographing him.

Chris S.

CMS_6560-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

CMS_6543-Edit.jpg

This is the resident Kingfisher at the pond and he always working it and he seems like bottomless pit. This was late last week and I've got so many photos of him I can publish a book, but I do not get bored photographing him.

Chris S.

View attachment 74174

View attachment 74175
Beautiful Chris! Iā€˜m with you on that one. They are almost addictive. I had an opportunity yesterday to snap a few of one with a fish but he was pretty far off and the autofocus kept hunting due to the low light. I did get a few shots but havenā€™t reviewed them yet. I donā€™t think they will be very sharp. I love that second shot. Well donešŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘

Ridiculously great mid-air ā€œfish flipā€. Outstanding!šŸ‘

Beautiful Chris! Iā€˜m with you on that one. They are almost addictive. I had an opportunity yesterday to snap a few of one with a fish but he was pretty far off and the autofocus kept hunting due to the low light. I did get a few shots but havenā€™t reviewed them yet. I donā€™t think they will be very sharp. I love that second shot. Well donešŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘
Ralph,
Many Thanks, I hope you were able to get a few good shots out of bunch, good luck.

Chris S.

Ralph,
Many Thanks, I hope you were able to get a few good shots out of bunch, good luck.

Chris S.
There weā€™re a couple that weā€™re salvageable but he was so far away that they arenā€™t worth posting. The focus is a bit off as well. Here are 2 below . Nothing close to what you got. Yours are very close and sharp. Nicely done. In the picture below, he turned his head to give me a little more light on the eye but he swallowed the fish after 2 shots. Of course, right after he swallowed the fish he turn more to give me better light and focus. But even then, because of the distance from the camera it wasnā€™t very good. It appears that I did discover his go to place for food. Next trip out I will spend a little more time in that location and maybe get lucky.

DSC_0767-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpeg
DSC_0755-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpeg

Last edited:
Ralph
There weā€™re a couple that weā€™re salvageable but he was so far away that they arenā€™t worth posting. The focus is a bit off as well. Here are 2 below . Nothing close to what you got. Yours are very close and sharp. Nicely done. In the picture below, he turned his head to give me a little more light on the eye but he swallowed the fish after 2 shots. Of course, right after he swallowed the fish he turn more to give me better light and focus. But even then, because of the distance from the camera it wasnā€™t very good. It appears that I did discover his go to place for food. Next trip out I will spend a little more time in that location and maybe get lucky.

View attachment 74223View attachment 74224
, These are great! The submerged ghost-forest adds SO much to the picture any focus issues are hardly noticeableā€¦

Chris S.

View attachment 74223View attachment 74224

Ralph,
Those are great and a great setting, you did well (y) (y)(y)

Chris S.

Thanks Larry. I guess I pixel peep too muchšŸ˜‰
_LCS5559.jpeg

Chris & Ralphā€¦. First, excuse this not so good shotā€¦ but, Ralph, you said the kingfishers at your pond were males. This one on our osprey pole has the russet colored belt that (I think?) distinguishes the bird as a male. Your shots and Chrisā€™ did not have this marking. So Iā€™m confused šŸ˜•?ā€¦

View attachment 74284
Chris & Ralphā€¦. First, excuse this not so good shotā€¦ but, Ralph, you said the kingfishers at your pond were males. This one on our osprey pole has the russet colored belt that (I think?) distinguishes the bird as a male. Your shots and Chrisā€™ did not have this marking. So Iā€™m confused šŸ˜•?ā€¦
Larry, that is the female. Males donā€™t have that rust colored marking. It kind of goes against the common believe that all bird males always have the most coloration. The photo below is also a female. Check out this link. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Belted_Kingfisher/id
IMG_0892.jpeg