Kirk Lens Foot LP-70

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Just curious if anyone else’s LP-70 foot feels loose on their Z 70-200 2.8? I can’t tighten mine up enough. I’m not worried about it coming off even if I push the release button, but it’s just not stable. Just wondering if this is the norm or if something is wrong with mine.

This happened to me on my 600pf...couldn't tighten it enough and still a bit loose. But it turned out to be the 4 mininscrews holding the nub onto the lens (the peice that the foot slides onto). Those 4 screws loosen after a few weeks.

Check that nub to see if it's tight on the lens.

That happened to me on the Z600 pf. There is another topic in here somewhere. It was recommended you us special screwdrivers for the Japan market, I think it was JIS or soemthing like that.

Same exact thing (the four mounting screws were loose) happened with my Z600 pf. The screws are tiny Phillips heads, so a small jewelers or computer hardware screwdriver is necessary, which are readily available. If the screws come loose on me again, I will take them out and put some lock-tight on the threads and re-install.

JIS stands for Japanese Industrial Standard. There are a ton of those on Amazon I don't know the exact size of the screws on this lens but go smaller. I found a set for $19 that worked fine for me.

JIS stands for Japanese Industrial Standard. There are a ton of those on Amazon I don't know the exact size of the screws on this lens but go smaller. I found a set for $19 that worked fine for me.
I use a jewlers set, seems to work good. Very cheap to purchase. But I must say that I'm curious as to the difference, and what the added value is for the $19.

I looed at a set on Amazon, the shape of the Phillips heads looks a little different.

I use a jewlers set, seems to work good. Very cheap to purchase. But I must say that I'm curious as to the difference, and what the added value is for the $19.

I looed at a set on Amazon, the shape of the Phillips heads looks a little different.

The shape of the JIS screw head is very slightly different from Phillips head. You can make a Phillips head jeweler's screwdriver work, but the screw will not get as tight without the screwdriver starting to strip the "cross" on the screw head.

The shape of the JIS screw head is very slightly different from Phillips head. You can make a Phillips head jeweler's screwdriver work, but the screw will not get as tight without the screwdriver starting to strip the "cross" on the screw head.
Sooooo, what you're saying is the extra cost is well worth it? I'm good with that, just never had this issue in the last 30 years of owning Nikon lenses...until the 600pf. Sounds like others are having the same "odd" problem as well.

Barking beans asked as well, anyone know what the common sizes are (so I know which to purchase)?

Sooooo, what you're saying is the extra cost is well worth it? I'm good with that, just never had this issue in the last 30 years of owning Nikon lenses...until the 600pf. Sounds like others are having the same "odd" problem as well.
I never even thought about the difference between Phillips head and JIS until I got my 600 pf lens and the lens foot anchor screws were a bit loose, hence causing my Kirk replacement lens foot to wobble. I used a small jeweler's screwdriver to tighten the screws. They worked loose again. Since the third time I tightened them they have stayed tight. All without a JIS screwdriver. But it was in the process of dealing with this issue that I became aware of the distinctiveness of JIS-head screws. So I bought a cheap set of tiny JIS screwdrivers from Amazon.com. It was a very small investment, and maybe I never will have to use them. But my research convinced me that if I continued to use the Phillips head screwdriver on those small JIS screws there might be some damage, however small, to those screw heads.

What I am saying is that you very likely do not need JIS screwdrivers. Like you, I have never had another issue like this in all of my years of owning Nikon cameras and lenses.

Anyone have thoughts on my question above or have a link to a set they are happy with?

My thought is that these screwdrivers are so small that most (all?) of us have bought a small set of them, rather than a single screwdriver, so the size number doesn't come to mind. In my case, I bought a small set from Amazon but since it arrived I have not had to tighten those tiny screws (yet), so I haven't even opened the case that contains the little JIS screwdrivers.

This is the set I bought:

Precision Screwdriver Set | TD-56S Vessel JIS Made in Japan | 6 Piece Kit​

My thought is that these screwdrivers are so small that most (all?) of us have bought a small set of them, rather than a single screwdriver, so the size number doesn't come to mind. In my case, I bought a small set from Amazon but since it arrived I have not had to tighten those tiny screws (yet), so I haven't even opened the case that contains the little JIS screwdrivers.

Looks like a nice set so I ordered one. Thank you.

You don’t want to use a Philips screwdriver on JIS head screws, which are probably used on most, if not all Nikon products. Using a Philips head screwdriver on JIS screws will cause ”cam out”—which is when the screwdriver slips out of the screw head causing damage to the screw head. JIS drivers are also les likely to cam out on Philips head screws…I have a set of Vessel JIS drivers in “regular” screwdriver sizes that I use for pretty much all my work using Philips head screws.

I used the JIS screwdriver on mine and so far it has not come loose again. If it happened to me again I could use Loctite but since it is a brand new lens I would have Nikon fix it under warranty.

I think this lens uses the same lens foot as the 70-200mm and the 400mm f4.5. I noted larger and heavier lenses such as the 400 and 600mm tc or the 800mm pf use a different foot that mounts directly into the lens with more substantial bolts.

At this point I have no reason to question the design of the mount on this lens. I think it is at most an assembly error that is easily fixed.

So my order of JIS drivers just came today and already have my 70-200 tighten and secured. I order the following. I don’t see the sizes listed but they’re pretty small. In this pack of 4, the next to largest worked good. Quality seems good.

Moody Tools 58-0219 Chromium Vanadium Steel JIS-type Screwdriver Set, 4-Piece, Silver​

So my order of JIS drivers just came today and already have my 70-200 tighten and secured. I order the following. I don’t see the sizes listed but they’re pretty small. In this pack of 4, the next to largest worked good. Quality seems good.

Moody Tools 58-0219 Chromium Vanadium Steel JIS-type Screwdriver Set, 4-Piece, Silver​

That’s the set I have. I take them on every photography trip and while I’ve never had to use them, they have been used by participants in a couple of photo workshops I’ve been on.

I had ordered the "Precision Screwdriver Set | TD-56S Vessel JIS Made in Japan | 6 Piece Kit" on a mention from @GrandNagus50 and it arrived today. I think the set was $14, doesn't feel cheap.

It looks like the 00 is the correct size for the 600pf but the bigger 0 seems to fit as well. The 000 sis a bit too small. I used the 00 and works well. No more jewelers screw drivers for me...always felt like I was going to strip the screw head.

1000000995.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Reactions: PKW
Back