If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

EricBowles

Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
I was in South Carolina this past weekend and had a chance to photograph swallow tailed and Mississippi kites using the Nikon Z7ii and new 400mm f/4.5 plus the Z 1.4 TC. Overall I liked the combination of gear, but found the subject matter very challenging. These kites are migrants and are only seen for an hour or so each morning while they hunt large bugs in hay fields. The soaring birds are extremely acrobatic and dive to just above the ground to capture bugs in their talons, then eat the bug in the air.

I found the 400mm f/4.5 lens to be excellent - fast focusing, accurate, and great optically both with and without the TC. The Z7ii was just beyond it's limits for this subject matter, and something faster focusing would have been a better option. One wrinkle is I normally find it hard to maintain focus at the kites circle, dive toward the ground crossing the treeline, and then change direction just above the ground. I ended up using AF Lock On set for 5 - Delay - in order to maintain focus. I normally used Wide Small or Wide Large modes.

The birds in flight were cropped to about a 40-50% view.

Swallow Tailed Kites
Silver Bluff_7-29-2022_368711.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Silver Bluff_7-29-2022_368706.jpg

Mississippi Kites
Silver Bluff_7-31-2022_368872.jpg

Silver Bluff_7-31-2022_369060.jpg

Here is a white ibis photographed with the same combination. This kind of subject matter is easy and the camera and lens did a great job.
Silver Bluff_7-29-2022_368620.jpg

For comparison, here is a photo with the 800mm f/6.3 PF. These swallow tail kites were a little easier to photograph. The sample size was too small to make a conclusion about sharpness vs. technique differences. It's certainly nice having the a bit more reach.
Silver Bluff_8-1-2022_369248.jpg