If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I photographed this guy near the town of Plettenbergbaai, they are very special birds!

DSC_5663-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Nikon D500 with Nikon 70-200mm 2.8

Indeed a special and beautiful bird! Nice capture (y) Is there a special name for this bird in your native language ('zuid Afrikaans')?

Last edited:
Beautiful image of what I know by its common name of Knysna Loerie. Very nice capture. These birds are not often seen.
This one is distinctly different from the Bosveld Loerie, aka the Kwêvoël or Go-away bird.

Beautiful image of what I know by its common name of Knysna Loerie. Very nice capture. These birds are not often seen.
This one is distinctly different from the Bosveld Loerie, aka the Kwêvoël or Go-away bird.
Thanks Rassie, I almost dropped my camera when he came to sit, I was so excited!

Koos, do you have perhaps South African roots? Your first and last name points me to a Dutch or South African roots. Based on your knowledge of the existence of similar Loeries I assume more a South African background.

Koos, do you have perhaps South African roots? Your first and last name points me to a Dutch or South African roots. Based on your knowledge of the existence of similar Loeries I assume more a South African background.
Jaap, my ancestors left Holland for South Africa 200 years ago. So yes, I was born and bred in South Africa. :)
I'm Canadian now.