L-brackets, cage or none?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have went back and forth with this over the years and I’m currently in a phase that I don’t want any type of bracket on my camera bodies. I have both L-brackets and Smallrig half cages but find them all annoying at times. Currently if I need arca Swiss I just use a two inch plate I keep in each camera bag. I feel like comfort as well as port accessibility and overall camera operation is much better without any of these installed. I’m just curious what others think and what your favorite is?

I have two Z9's. t have a compatible cage and I also have an L bracket.

I would not use either when working with a long lens with tripod and gimbal. You need an ARCA Swiss plate on the lens but otherwise they have no use. If you use QD connectors make sure your lens plate has a QD fitting.

My cage is used for video because it is convenient to mount an external RODE mic and would also work with external monitors and the like.

The L bracket works best for landscape work on a tripod with shorter lenses that do not have their own foot. It allows you to switch quickly between landscape and portrait and they work well with a ball head.

I keep the L bracket on one body to tell them apart. In addition the L bracket has a QD socket so if I am using straps with QD connectors I can use that body for the shorter lenses.

I agree that these brackets are annoying even the good quality ones.

Excellent question Steven. I think it depends on the camera body fit to your hand and anticipated use. I found the Nikon Zf body a bit small to grip with my right hand so (like you) I got the Smallrig grip (pictured below). I like it but the cards are now more difficult to remove due to the restriction to the door. Sony, Canon and others likely have small body models that would have improved handling with an accessory grip.

Larger, actually standard size models like the D850 or Z8 have a pretty good grips as similar cameras in Canon or Sony’s lineup. These cameras may not need an additional grip if “handling” is the issue. I think your current plan of keeping a 2” section of Swiss Arca plate handy is an excellent way to be prepared without cluttering up your camera…
IMG_1349.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Excellent question Steven. I think it depends on the camera body fit to your hand and anticipated use. I found the Nikon Zf body a bit small to grip with my right hand so (like you) I got the Smallrig grip (pictured below). I like it but the cards are now more difficult to remove due to the restriction to the door. Sony, Canon and others likely have small body models that would have improved handling with an accessory grip.

Larger, actually standard size models like the D850 or Z8 have a pretty good grips as similar cameras in Canon or Sony’s lineup. These cameras may not need an additional grip if “handling” is the issue. I think your current plan of keeping a 2” section of Swiss Arca plate handy is an excellent way to be prepared without cluttering up your camera…
View attachment 99888
I have contemplated one of those extensions for the A6700. Seems like it would be handy

I have went back and forth with this over the years and I’m currently in a phase that I don’t want any type of bracket on my camera bodies. I have both L-brackets and Smallrig half cages but find them all annoying at times. Currently if I need arca Swiss I just use a two inch plate I keep in each camera bag. I feel like comfort as well as port accessibility and overall camera operation is much better without any of these installed. I’m just curious what others think and what your favorite is?
I have L-brackets for all my bodies, and I usually leave them on. I use QD straps, either BR or Magpul. Then suddenly, the L-bracket will annoy me too much and I will take it off, especially the vertical part. It is very difficult to get to the ports of the Z9 with the bracket on.
Then I will want to put the camera in vertical orientation on the tripod..... You can see where this is headed...
So the bracket goes back on, and then I get sick of it....🤣 RRS or Kirk is good. I had a Sunway jam badly once.

I own a Nikon Z8 and Z6iii and have L brackets on both. I use Chinese brands that have the bottom go all the way to the end of the body, conforming to the grip with a portion that swings open to access the battery. I am attaching a photo of my Z6iii which has a Topcine bracket though my Z8 has a Smallrig bracket that looks identical. (For some reason the Smallrig for Z6iii will not ship to USA). I use these not only for shooting with standard lens on tripod, but also because the way they extend the camera height is ideal for my large hands. That is why I don't use RRS or Kirk (even though I would prefer to buy American), becuase theirs stop short and do not cover the battery grip, so my pinky has no place to rest. (Though I think for Z6iii RRS finally adopted this design). So for me even when shooting handheld they are more comfortable. I should note that I do not use any of the ports on the side where the L bracket covers, so that is a non-issue for me.
Z6ii with plate.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I use L-brackets on both my Z8 and Z6 largely to protect the bodies if I have to put them on the ground - for example when I switch from the Z8+Z800 for birds to my Z6 for macro work. On rare occasions when I shoot landscapes they stay on for ease of tripod mounting.

I keep the upright part of the Z8 bracket about 1/2 inch away from the body to protect my GPS unit which was originally for my D850 but the Z8's socket is at an angle and I have already broken the GPS unit once. The upright protects it against further accidental knocks. The GPS is a DawnTech d-GPS Eco-Pro DC which works well on the Z8 with exception that the compass reading (the DC option) is incorrect as it is now pointing at an angle to the direction of shooting. I can't say that I've ever referred to the compass settings though.

Both of my L-brackets (Smallrig on the Z6 and Newer on the Z6) fit under the grip as shown in MrFotoFool's post.

Last edited:
I have L-brackets for all my bodies, and I usually leave them on. I use QD straps, either BR or Magpul. Then suddenly, the L-bracket will annoy me too much and I will take it off, especially the vertical part. It is very difficult to get to the ports of the Z9 with the bracket on.
Then I will want to put the camera in vertical orientation on the tripod..... You can see where this is headed...
So the bracket goes back on, and then I get sick of it....🤣 RRS or Kirk is good. I had a Sunway jam badly once.
lol same here. Sometimes they seem nice and other times I just want to throw them in the trash.

I own a Nikon Z8 and Z6iii and have L brackets on both. I use Chinese brands that have the bottom go all the way to the end of the body, conforming to the grip with a portion that swings open to access the battery. I am attaching a photo of my Z6iii which has a Topcine bracket though my Z8 has a Smallrig bracket that looks identical. (For some reason the Smallrig for Z6iii will not ship to USA). I use these not only for shooting with standard lens on tripod, but also because the way they extend the camera height is ideal for my large hands. That is why I don't use RRS or Kirk (even though I would prefer to buy American), becuase theirs stop short and do not cover the battery grip, so my pinky has no place to rest. (Though I think for Z6iii RRS finally adopted this design). So for me even when shooting handheld they are more comfortable. I should note that I do not use any of the ports on the side where the L bracket covers, so that is a non-issue for me.
View attachment 99889
That’s actually a nice looking bracket. Mine only come over to the battery door and stop there

Slightly different solution for each camera I have, but in general I use an L-bracket (RRS) when I need to mount THE camera and a cage (Wooden Camera) when I need to attach things TO the camera. Practically, it works out that for stills I use an L-bracket and for video I use a cage.

Slightly different solution for each camera I have, but in general I use an L-bracket (RRS) when I need to mount THE camera and a cage (Wooden Camera) when I need to attach things TO the camera. Practically, it works out that for stills I use an L-bracket and for video I use a cage.
I like both but hate having to remove the clips to install the half cage. It’s hard for me to get those in and off because of injuries to my hands. I feel like both definitely impede using the ports although it is doable. I just go thru spurts of hating them and currently in one lol.

I like both but hate having to remove the clips to install the half cage. It’s hard for me to get those in and off because of injuries to my hands. I feel like both definitely impede using the ports although it is doable. I just go thru spurts of hating them and currently in one lol.
On my smaller cameras or if I know I won't shoot vertical, I use a small plate simply to be able to put it on the camera stand.

On my smaller cameras or if I know I won't shoot vertical, I use a small plate simply to be able to put it on the camera stand.
They are definitely handy at times. I really don’t like to put a monitor in the hot shoe on the camera so whenever I use a monitor, I definitely put the cage on. I know a lot of people do use the hot shoe on the camera with no problems, but it just worries me.

They are definitely handy at times. I really don’t like to put a monitor in the hot shoe on the camera so whenever I use a monitor, I definitely put the cage on. I know a lot of people do use the hot shoe on the camera with no problems, but it just worries me.
I'm at the point where I never just use an Atomos, there is always other stuff like mic, 32-bit Zoom, etc, so I'm with you. At that point I just rig it with a cage (mine is modular, not one piece). I do have a Tilta full-cage but I don't remember the last time I used it. Take a look at Wooden Camera, they make modular universal cages you can customize.

I'm at the point where I never just use an Atomos, there is always other stuff like mic, 32-bit Zoom, etc, so I'm with you. At that point I just rig it with a cage (mine is modular, not one piece). I do have a Tilta full-cage but I don't remember the last time I used it. Take a look at Wooden Camera, they make modular universal cages you can customize.
I will definitely check that out

I absolutely love the Sony shotgun mics and that’s another reason I can’t really use the monitor. I normally have my microphone in the hot shoe. I don’t know if you ever have tried them, but the sound quality is great and they also record stereo if you need it

My small bodied cameras (E-M10 ii) always have a grip/L-bracket combo - mainly for the grip. The only larger bodied camera (E-M1 ii) that has an L-bracket is the one that always has the 60mm macro lens attached since it's often on a ground mount (a la Platypod) and frequently in a vertical orientation. I keep a 2" Arca-Swiss bracket on the camera that's often used with a long lens that doesn't have its own foot.

My small bodied cameras (E-M10 ii) always have a grip/L-bracket combo - mainly for the grip. The only larger bodied camera (E-M1 ii) that has an L-bracket is the one that always has the 60mm macro lens attached since it's often on a ground mount (a la Platypod) and frequently in a vertical orientation. I keep a 2" Arca-Swiss bracket on the camera that's often used with a long lens that doesn't have its own foot.
Yeah, they are certainly handy at times. I need to check into the kit NIMI was talking about. It would be nice to have a modular design where you could detach part of it when not needed.

I have a Z8 and Z9 with Kirk L frames on both. With long telephotos i use a Black Rapid strap attached to the lens foot with a QD connector. I also connect a safety tether from the strap to the QD socket on the bottom of the L frame.

Back