Lakeside Lions...........sunrise serenity.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

marc

6.30am
Early sunrise and we found the Olasati pride bringing their cubs down to the lake edge to wash down a Wildebeest they had killed the previous night.

Lake Ndutu, North Tanzania- TZ

Nikon D4
Nikkor 500 VR f/4
f/4
1/250s
ISO3200

ND4_1739BCG.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Lions have an inherent fear of water and despite the shallow depth some of the cubs were reluctant to cross.
Nikon D4
Nikkor 500 VR f/4
f/4
1/250s
ISO3200

ND4_1755BCG.jpg

Nikon D4
Nikkor 500 VR f/4
f/4
1/320s
ISO3200

ND4_1766aBCG.jpg

The cubs stick close to their mothers to garner reassurance.
Nikon D4
Nikkor 500 VR f/4
f/4
1/250s
ISO3200

ND4_1776BCG.jpg

The last one to cross was the smallest cub and despite the consternation eventually joined her family. :giggle:
Nikon D4
Nikkor 500 VR f/4
f/4
1/400s
ISO3200

ND4_1871BCG.jpg

Cheers
Marc

Beautiful behavioral images, Marc! Love it when the cubs "swear" at the water or mom!
beautiful light too.
Is that a function of the high ISO? I have often noticed that high ISO gives a lighter ambience.

Another absolutely stunning series Marc. Love the reflections and the way the sky and water blend. If I had to choose a favourite I think it would be the last one of the anxious cub!

Thanks Callie.

Beautiful behavioral images, Marc! Love it when the cubs "swear" at the water or mom!
beautiful light too.
Is that a function of the high ISO? I have often noticed that high ISO gives a lighter ambience.

Agree, not that I'd call 3200 "high" since the D3 was released. But there is something be said for that perceived look at upper levels.
I see too many photographers with deep pockets that buy top end Nikon/Canon who choose to limit their ISO's to 1000 or less, and I think to myself.
"why did they purchase such a camera?" Kinda like driving a Ferrari at no more than 45mph. :oops:

Last edited:
Don't forget Shintaro, the eager Ninja in The Samurai and Astro Boy. I lived in Japan for 16 years and had two Japanese wives (at different times of course :) ) though my Japanese ability these days is garbage.

Back