Land Of The Midnight Sun --- Finland.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Gottshotz

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Here are 2 photos taken in the forest at Kuhmo in Finland (25/07/19) while waiting for Brown Bears to appear. Kuhmo is just below the Arctic Circle, so at this time of the year there is daylight for 23 hours in the day.

The first shot is at sunset at 1 am., --- the sun then skips below the horizon, before reappearing one hour later (sunrise) at 2am., (2nd shot, from an almost identical position) .

851_7681-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

And here is the Sunrise picture.

851_7682-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Both shots taken with a D850 and 70-200 f4 @70mm., 1/400 Sec., but the sunset shot was at ISO 5000 and the Sunrise shot was at ISO 110. Handheld, on a bean bag.

Last edited:
Interesting. This was July 7, 2019 - So the same location now is nearing 23 hours of night light?
Interesting question Charles --- apparently today 30/12/20 ,Khumo has 4 hours and 19 mins daylight (between 10am and 2pm ), so possibly you would have to go further north to get an equivalent 23 hours of darkness --- seems a bit odd to me that there isn't total equivalence, may be the measure of total darkness is different to measurement of visible light available ?

Beautiful shots David, brings back many happy memories of my trips to Lapland.
Thanks Mike, Finland is a special place with wonderful people --- I've played squash many times against Finnish players and they all played hard and drank hard too afterwards --- mostly neat vodka, I seem to recall !

Beautiful David. Was this when you shot the wolverines or was that another trip. Must be awesome alone in a hide? I have sat about 10 h already, but at least could go outside sometimes. And when the wait pays off . . . 😍

Beautiful David. Was this when you shot the wolverines or was that another trip. Must be awesome alone in a hide? I have sat about 10 h already, but at least could go outside sometimes. And when the wait pays off . . . 😍
Thanks Callie, yes it was the same trip but not from that particular hide, so the Wolverine shots would have been the day before. Yep 14 hours is a real test, but as there was a viewing window at each of the 4 compass points I was continually turning around in case I missed something behind me --- mind you I slept well for most of the next day, despite it being broad daylight !

Interesting question Charles --- apparently today 30/12/20 ,Khumo has 4 hours and 19 mins daylight (between 10am and 2pm ), so possibly you would have to go further north to get an equivalent 23 hours of darkness --- seems a bit odd to me that there isn't total equivalence, may be the measure of total darkness is different to measurement of visible light available ?
Nice shots. As you go further north there is definitely a period of weeks where the sun never rises above the horizon. The sun rise today for Inuvik (an amazing place to visit, btw; I was there in August and the sun went down, but not totally below the horizon at midnight :) Inuvik, can't remember the latitude!, is not far from the arctic ocean. Sunrise is listed today as, "Down all day." LOL The other variable is angle of the sun, of course -- the sun is never overhead, for example. Even where I live at the latitude 53N, on the summer solstice with a clear view to the horizon, the horizon never goes completely dark. Have friends who grew up in the far, far north and total darkness for weeks is something physically experienced as one of them likes to say....

Nice shots. As you go further north there is definitely a period of weeks where the sun never rises above the horizon. The sun rise today for Inuvik (an amazing place to visit, btw; I was there in August and the sun went down, but not totally below the horizon at midnight :) Inuvik, can't remember the latitude!, is not far from the arctic ocean. Sunrise is listed today as, "Down all day." LOL The other variable is angle of the sun, of course -- the sun is never overhead, for example. Even where I live at the latitude 53N, on the summer solstice with a clear view to the horizon, the horizon never goes completely dark. Have friends who grew up in the far, far north and total darkness for weeks is something physically experienced as one of them likes to say....
Thanks Steven ---I am still keeping my fingers crossed about a trip to Svalbard (only 600 miles from the N Pole) in late July--- should be almost continuous daylight there at that time of the year !

Back