Laowa macro lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this brand of lens? I like the fact you can get two or five times magnification depending on the lens. I realize it would be manual focus but there are times I wish I had more magnification with really small insects. I am just curious to hear other thoughts on these. I am contemplating buying the 100 mm focal length and I suppose if I don’t like it, I can always return it.

I wanted to add I’ve been contemplating the 65mm, 90mm or the 100mm versions. It looks like the 65mm gets the best reviews but I just don’t know which would would be best.

I wanted to add I’ve been contemplating the 65mm, 90mm or the 100mm versions. It looks like the 65mm gets the best reviews but I just don’t know which would would be best.
I have the 100mm and the 15mm Laowa lenses and I'm extremely happy with the optic and build quality of both of them. All the macro photos I've posted on here so far have been taken with them. I don't have any experience with their mirrorless lenses but I find the 100mm 2x macro to be completely adequate for the kind of photography I do and I rarely find myself going all the way to 2x on my D500.

I have the 100mm and the 15mm Laowa lenses and I'm extremely happy with the optic and build quality of both of them. All the macro photos I've posted on here so far have been taken with them. I don't have any experience with their mirrorless lenses but I find the 100mm 2x macro to be completely adequate for the kind of photography I do and I rarely find myself going all the way to 2x on my D500.
Thank you. I’ve been trying to research the 100, 90 and 65mm but I’m still unsure which one would be best. I have the Sony 100mm that I really like but thought the 2:1 ratio on these lenses would be useful for some subjects.

Thank you. I’ve been trying to research the 100, 90 and 65mm but I’m still unsure which one would be best. I have the Sony 100mm that I really like but thought the 2:1 ratio on these lenses would be useful for some subjects.
I agree that the ability to get to 2:1 is useful but I'm not sure which lens to suggest to suggest due to lack of experience. I can say that I had trouble doing any product type photography with the 100m on my aps-c camera and sometimes wished I had the 60 but I like the extra reach of the 100mm for doing insects, arachnids, and other small subjects so given the choice I'd choose it again.

I agree that the ability to get to 2:1 is useful but I'm not sure which lens to suggest to suggest due to lack of experience. I can say that I had trouble doing any product type photography with the 100m on my aps-c camera and sometimes wished I had the 60 but I like the extra reach of the 100mm for doing insects, arachnids, and other small subjects so given the choice I'd choose it again.
Yeah currently I have the 100mm and like it but perhaps the 65mm would be great at 65mm

Yeah currently I have the 100mm and like it but perhaps the 65mm would be great at 65mm
Check out Micael Widell on YouTube if you haven't already, he's how I first heard about Laowa and I'm pretty sure he's reviewed most of their macro lenses at this point. He also has a video with a 10% off code for the Laowa website that's valid for all of 2023.

Check out Micael Widell on YouTube if you haven't already, he's how I first heard about Laowa and I'm pretty sure he's reviewed most of their macro lenses at this point. He also has a video with a 10% off code for the Laowa website that's valid for all of 2023.
Yeah, I actually have watched several of his videos and he has me more confused than ever lol he speaks really highly of the 25 mm version that does five times magnification

Yeah, I actually have watched several of his videos and he has me more confused than ever lol he speaks really highly of the 25 mm version that does five times magnification
Yea I'm sure it's nice to have but imo it's practical applications are quite limited in comparison to the 2x macro lenses. Trying to get something like a jumping spider or a bee into focus and sometimes even just finding them at 2x magnification can be a real pain. I can't imagine trying to do it with a 2.5-5x lens haha. I plan to purchase one eventually but I don't know how often it'll be used for live subjects unless they happen to be extremely cooperative but I think it would be fun for certain situations, like my 15mm macro lens.

I have the 2.5-5x on my Z6 II and the 90mm 2x on my Sony. Both are excellent. You can do 2x handheld (maybe!), but 2.5 and 5x need to be on a tripod with a rail. I use the NiSI NM-180 focusing rail for small manual stacks. All are A+ gear. Laowa lenses are very good. If you think you might be tempted to get the WeMacro power rail in the future go with the 2.5-5x.

The 90mm 2x is very sharp!

I have the 2.5-5x on my Z6 II and the 90mm 2x on my Sony. Both are excellent. You can do 2x handheld (maybe!), but 2.5 and 5x need to be on a tripod with a rail. I use the NiSI NM-180 focusing rail for small manual stacks. All are A+ gear. Laowa lenses are very good. If you think you might be tempted to get the WeMacro power rail in the future go with the 2.5-5x.

The 90mm 2x is very sharp!
Thank you. I was sorta leaning towards the 90mm and it gets great reviews

Here is an image with the 2.5-5x at 2.5x (60 image focus stack)

1683947240718.png

I have the 90mm and it is excellent. It is my understanding that it was designed for mirrorless and it is smaller and lighter than the 100. With the Focus Peaking feature on the Sony a7r V manual focusing is straightforward, fast, and sharp.

I have the 90mm and it is excellent. It is my understanding that it was designed for mirrorless and it is smaller and lighter than the 100. With the Focus Peaking feature on the Sony a7r V manual focusing is straightforward, fast, and sharp.
Thank you Adam, that’s the one I was leaning towards. I think it would be really neat for small insects.

Back