Large backpack recommendation

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I would be afraid to carry 200-600 with a hood on (in shooting position, not reversed). The locking mechanism is imho on the fragile side. It gets worn quite easily just from regular use.
The fragility is part of the reason why I am looking to leave it on the lens at all times. They definitely could improve the design on it. At some point I am afraid it is just going to stop working.

Sorry, I have restructured it, so I don't have the layout you have asked for, but I use this Lowepro Pro Trekker AW II since about 2006 now and after my change to Z system I had to play a bit around with the interior. The center compartment in the current layout takes my old 500 f4 G including TC and FTZ II (length overall 46cm with hood reverse, diameter app. 16 cm, depending on where the knob is) without a body attached. In the mentioned experiment I had the Z8 with the 180-600 sitting beside it (but the hood in reverse position, other than here in the image). As you can see, there is a lot of room left that isn't properly filled, because the macro gear isn't in. So there should be enough space for a second body and some other bits and peaces.

I like the system, because I can combine it with S&F pouches, have a removable daypack that sits on top of the main compartment and I got a second tripod holder, so that I can have one tripod on each side.

It's old, but it works fine and you still find good used ones.

I have to apologize for the site being in German, but there is a guy here that makes sport of collecting info's and images of camera bags (https://taschenfreak.de/blog/). It' not something like a database, more a collection of user photos, but it might help. If you open "Hersteller" (manufacturer) you find links sorted by manufacturer and model.

Heck, I quickly dropped the big one in and put the 180-600 beside on top, so that you can see ...

Regarding durability I am pretty sure that this backpack will survive me :).

IMG_3817.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
IMG_3816.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I have the ThinkTank"s Mindshift BackLight Elite 45L.

Inside the removable (included) camera main compartment it can hold :
- Sony A1+ 200-600 with hood attached and ready to shoot .
- Nikon z9+800mm pf hood reversed PLUS Sony A1+ 200-600 hood reversed.
its a tight fit for the z9 + 800pf both on the length and on depth dimensions . The internal removable camera compartment is a bit shallow so the 800pf hood needs to squeezed inside , its ok but a deeper compartment would be better (had the bag before I bought the lens). I don't know how hoods of 600f4 &400f2.8 will fit though
- there are nice sized front , top and laptop compartments to carry extra hiking staff
- the removable camera compartment have its own shoulder straps and can be turned into carry-on if the whole bag is not allowed (the bag is on the verge of carry-on regulations)
it saved me already ....
- very good waist belt and lumbar pads padding for a photo backpack
- good sized side bottle pockets.
-good attachment straps , and tripod attachment system
-khaki colored rain cover
-there's an option for top access to the main camera compartment. I don't use it , so can't comment how is it in the field.
* it can even carry the z9+800pf with its OEM hood attached when the top access is open - but the top access zipper can't closed that way just the top lid so no padding or rain protection

- One potential drawback is that the bag have no torso adjustment, and its torso length is a bit large for women or smaller men . for me it's just smidge larger than I would like

Attachments

• 11e4c640-d5bb-4545-b70f-b6259279fe73.jpeg
    11e4c640-d5bb-4545-b70f-b6259279fe73.jpeg
    477.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 2288cd25-d374-4be1-ba89-6fbcb85fac04.jpeg
    2288cd25-d374-4be1-ba89-6fbcb85fac04.jpeg
    510.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 311a1f13-a4a8-4327-932b-4772666a5d0c.jpeg
    311a1f13-a4a8-4327-932b-4772666a5d0c.jpeg
    402.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I wrote previously about a custom backpack I am having built. We just completed the design and testing and construction of the final pack is under way. I should have it in a month or so and I will take detailed pictures.

Basically the pack is fitted around an F Stop Pro XL insert which can be accessed from a front zipper opening. There is sufficient room above the insert to add a smaller second insert if needed.

The pack has an internal metal frame and a suspension system that transfers all weight to a substantial double waist belt. The shoulder belt is designed to keep all weight off of the shoulders and on the hips, the shoulder straps are there to stabilize the pack close to the body and encourage good shoulder posture. Of course dimensions were custom fitted to my frame.

The bottom of a folded tripod and gimbal can fit into a side pocket and secured with a strap allowing me to transport a substantial tripod and gimbal head for a long hike on the side of the pack.

When actively shooting the pack will have on one side a padded cradle made out of a molded aluminum bar. The tripod even with legs extended pops easily into the cradle. The gimbal side of the tripod has a strap that hooks into an adjustable strap that attaches to the pack frame. This combination of cradle and strap can be hooked up in seconds and allows me to carry the tripod hands free horizontally fore-aft by my left hip.

On the other side is another strap with a QD connector on the end. I can carry a Nikon Z9 and Z 800mm PF suspended from the pack on the right side.

I can walk shorter distances this way and quickly deploy the tripod and lens to set up a shoot. I can also hand hold the 800mm quickly if urgent.

The pack is comfortable enough to carry any weight I might possibly choose to bring on a day hiking trip. I can stand and walk all day with this pack without any upper back pain.

My last large backpack purchase was the Gura Gear Bataflae 32L and it is for me the perfect design. Inside there is thinner padding and so more interior space for gear. There is an exterior section for each side the holds items like a filter wallet or cables and no need to open the main compartment to get them or return them. It has a carry handle on the side and the shoulder straps can be enclosed with a outer pocket. This makes it easy to carry through an airplane and no worries about a shoulder strap getting caught on the arm of a seat. It has outside mesh pockets for water bottles and attachment points on the side for a tripod or rain parka which do not block access to the main compartment.

Something I have gradually realized that there are distinct advantages to using this backpack along with a much smaller 18L size one and distribute the weight between them. The smaller backpack qualifies as a "personal item" by the airlines.

Board a jet I have the 18L backpack on my back using its shoulder straps and I carry the large backpack in one hand using the side handle and I carry my tripod in the other hand. Very easy to board and get to my seat and stow the small backpack under the seat in front of mine and to place the large backpack and tripod (22 inch and so fits in crosswise perpendicular to the aisle inside the overhead bin).

When I had only the 32L backpack and it was loaded for a trip the total weight was 37 lbs and a pain to haul around. Getting 15 lbs of weight into a 18L companion backpack makes a great deal of difference.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a large backpack that needs to have space for 2 bodies, 180-600, 400 F2.8 24-70 2x converter and bits and bobs like chargers? I’m really struggling to find anything suitable. Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks
For flights and taking a good bit of gear on a trip, I have and use the Lowepro Pro Tactic 450 AWII.

I was able to configure it to handle a D500, Z9, 800PF (same size as the 400f2.8), 24-70f2.8, 500PF (should be able to replace with the 180-600) mix of 3x 15c and 2x 18D batteries, charger and 26,800mAh battery bank, card reader, cleaning kit and a 12.4" Samsung S7+ tablet (could have held a 15.4" laptop)

The pack has an internal metal frame and a suspension system that transfers all weight to a substantial double waist belt. The shoulder belt is designed to keep all weight off of the shoulders and on the hips, the shoulder straps are there to stabilize the pack close to the body and encourage good shoulder posture. Of course dimensions were custom fitted to my frame.

The bottom of a folded tripod and gimbal can fit into a side pocket and secured with a strap allowing me to transport a substantial tripod and gimbal head for a long hike on the side of the pack.

When actively shooting the pack will have on one side a padded cradle made out of a molded aluminum bar. The tripod even with legs extended pops easily into the cradle. The gimbal side of the tripod has a strap that hooks into an adjustable strap that attaches to the pack frame. This combination of cradle and strap can be hooked up in seconds and allows me to carry the tripod hands free horizontally fore-aft by my left hip.

The pack is comfortable enough to carry any weight I might possibly choose to bring on a day hiking trip. I can stand and walk all day with this pack without any upper back pain.
This look very promising ! I don't visualize yet the padded cradle you mention on one side of the pack to store the tripod. I would be very interested to see photo once completed.
I guess you store your tele in the F-Stop insert without the hood ?
this is a fit for purpose backpack !

This look very promising ! I don't visualize yet the padded cradle you mention on one side of the pack to store the tripod. I would be very interested to see photo once completed.
I guess you store your tele in the F-Stop insert without the hood ?
this is a fit for purpose backpack !
imagine a u shaped covered aluminum track by your left side at the waist belt. The track is bent into a shape that will hold the folded tripod legs. You lay the tripod legs in the track with the head and gimbal facing forward. You support the gimbal head by clipping on to a strap attached to the top of the pack. The strap is adjusted to balance the folded tripod by your side.

The F stop insert will hold the 800mm pf without the hood. I either carry the hood in an expandable enclosure on the top of the pack or else use the Rolanpro folding fabric hood which will store flat.

This pack is intended for photo shoots where I have to hike in some distance before setting up to shoot. I can carry the 800mm in the pack up to that point, and the folded tripod is strapped vertically to the outside side of the pack.

Once I arrive in the active shooting area I remove the 800mm and Z9 from the pack as well as free the tripod from the pack. I can then set up and shoot while wearing the pack. If I have to move a distance before resuming shooting I suspend the Z9 and 800mm on my right side using a QD connector and a strap attached to the pack. Meanwhile the tripod can be put in the cradle and secured with the strap. This way I can carry the tripod and camera/lens hands free.

I use a Gitzo 3 series systematic tripod. I can carry the tripod by my side hands free with the legs extended so I don't have to readjust the legs every time I deploy to shoot.

If an opportunity comes up I can shoot with the 800mm handheld. I just lift, point and shoot.

Back