Large Slow External Drive Recommendations

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BarkingBeans Coffee

Michael H
Supporting Member
Marketplace
As part of a bigger backup strategy I would like a large slow spinning drive. I got Seagate IronWolf drives for my NAS. I am not adverse to putting one of those in an enclosure but not sure if they are different and won't work that way. Seagate also makes an Expansion line and Backup Hub line of drives. I haven't had the best of luck with WD drives.

Any recommendations. Figuring 12-16TB?

Thanks

I think the drives you have in your NAS is what I would do. I would also check Amazon for their prime deals today they might have a sale on one in your size requirements.

I have used a number of different high capacity mechanical hard drives in external enclosures for just that purpose.

I get this report from Backblaze every quarter showing their failure rate for different drives. It might be worth looking at.

I usually shuck drives out of the Seagate or WD 3.25" external enclosures. You can usually google to see what drives are currently in them. They are the best price and usually come with a good quality drive inside.

@DavidT or @MartyD do you have any recommendations for those enclosures or particular drives? Thanks.

I use a caddy/dock to connect external HDDs. It has a power supply and a ISB to connect to a computer and I just put the HDD in it/them as needed. I always install and remove them with the computer shut down.

Lots availalble and some take more than one drive.

Back