Launch

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I shot this image at Kennedy Space Center a while back of the Atlas V taking off carrying the GOES-T satellite. Typically I dont put a lot of my images out, but I have had enough comments that I decided to add it here. Nikon D-500, Nikon 105 mm Macro with clear filter 1/8000, F/11,ISO 100. Triggered by Miops Placed withing 75 yards of base of rocket. Variances of flame color is due to different fuels being used. Liquid Oxygen/Jet fueled Kerosene for main core & solid paste fuel for side thrusters
C-Atlas GOES-T 03012022.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I shot this image at Kennedy Space Center a while back of the Atlas V taking off carrying the GOES-T satellite. Typically I dont put a lot of my images out, but I have had enough comments that I decided to add it here. Nikon D-500, Nikon 105 mm Macro with clear filter 1/8000, F/11,ISO 100. Triggered by Miops Placed withing 75 yards of base of rocket. Variances of flame color is due to different fuels being used. Liquid Oxygen/Jet fueled Kerosene for main core & solid paste fuel for side thrusters
View attachment 39418
The different flame colors are the eye candy here for sure. Thanks for posting it. You can feel the rumble in the picture composition!!!

Wow, what a spectacular picture!
Very well done,
I also thought that the shock wave would have knocked out the gear,
You must have had this well secured and supported,
Regards,
Gavin

Wow, what a spectacular picture!
Very well done,
I also thought that the shock wave would have knocked out the gear,
You must have had this well secured and supported,
Regards,
Gavin
Tripod has spikes, but before placing the tripod, I have an aircraft tie down spike that I screw into the ground, place the tripod over it & then take a 4 foot bungee cord which is wrapped a minimum of 2 times about the neck of the tripod. As far as vibration...the noise & vibration are enough to kill a person & 2 of my 3 D-500 have been sent to Nikon to have the aperture control boards replaced. Each unit has a water resistant rain protection bag covering the camera & sound device & dew heater, due to the thousands of gallons of water dumped to reduce, noise, vibration and put out fires.

Fantastic shot!

Do you have somewhere where you display more of your work (website, social media,...)? Massive space/astronomy enthousiast/photographer here; so would love to see more.

Great image. How did you get security clearance to get your equipment that close. I would just love to see a launch let alone get that close for fantastic images like this. Very good job. I would like to see the walls in your house. I am sure you have some great wall hangers.

Back