Leave only footprints

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jeffnles1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
It is such a rare and beautiful treat to be the first people to walk down a path after a new snow! My wife and I got to this park very early yesterday after an overnight snowfall. We beat the crowds and were the first people to walk the trails through the woods. We ended up walking a little over 4 miles of trails and over most of it our footprints were the first ones in the snow. What a beautiful day.
_T3A4282.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Snow is a rare occurrence where I live. But, I have walked many places and wondered if, maybe, I was the first human to step on that spot.

And, I have been high in the mountains when the first snows come. That is an incredible experience, to realize that there is a good chance that no other person will walk in that first snow at that location. Where, as I return, I found grizzly or wolf tracks over the top of my tracks.

Snow is a rare occurrence where I live. But, I have walked many places and wondered if, maybe, I was the first human to step on that spot.

And, I have been high in the mountains when the first snows come. That is an incredible experience, to realize that there is a good chance that no other person will walk in that first snow at that location. Where, as I return, I found grizzly or wolf tracks over the top of my tracks.
What a wonderful experience that must have been. I have seen deer, squirrel, rabbit and fox tracks over my footprints in the snow before. Never a bear or wolf. I bet that is something one would remember for the rest of their lives. thanks for sharing.

Lovely photo, and very evocative story. Thank you for sharing it, Jeff!

Your narrative reminds me of xc skiing near Gore Mtn in the Adirondacks in the early '90's...my wife and I were the first out to hit the trails after 6 or so inches of gentle snowfall overnight. The sun was just coming out, and it was totally still and peaceful. Every direction was one delightful scene after another. Regretfully no camera was on me, but I still have the images in my heart of the most beautiful and peaceful winter outing I've ever experienced.

Nice. I remember years ago being at Grand Canyon during a heavy snowfall and walking in the morning on the rim trail where no one else had walked yet. It is peaceful beyond words.
yes it is. The snow seems to muffle the sounds so just us and the crunching under our feet and some birds checking out the crazy humans. Peaceful indeed. I bet it was fun at Grand Canyon when you were there.

Lovely photo, and very evocative story. Thank you for sharing it, Jeff!

Your narrative reminds me of xc skiing near Gore Mtn in the Adirondacks in the early '90's...my wife and I were the first out to hit the trails after 6 or so inches of gentle snowfall overnight. The sun was just coming out, and it was totally still and peaceful. Every direction was one delightful scene after another. Regretfully no camera was on me, but I still have the images in my heart of the most beautiful and peaceful winter outing I've ever experienced.
It is those memories in our hearts that are the most important. What a great time it must have been to be out on skis there.

Many a time I've been the first human to leave tracks in new snow on an old road, beaver meadow or trail and it never ceases to be a special experience. Unfortunately that's becoming less common every winter as we get less snow each year, I age and can't get to some of the remote places I used to wander and the woodland is infested by more and more people.

Many a time I've been the first human to leave tracks in new snow on an old road, beaver meadow or trail and it never ceases to be a special experience. Unfortunately that's becoming less common every winter as we get less snow each year, I age and can't get to some of the remote places I used to wander and the woodland is infested by more and more people.
I hear ya. We are seeing more and more people but when we hit the day right, being the first ones in the woods is magic. In summer, it's spider webs across the trail telling us we're the first ones to pass by there that morning.

Thank you for sharing such a special occasion. My wife and I know this experience all too well. Sounds are muffled and you’re always scanning the snow in front of you for tracks of the critters that live there. I enjoy seeing images such as this that left a lasting memory. Good stuff!👍

Thank you for sharing such a special occasion. My wife and I know this experience all too well. Sounds are muffled and you’re always scanning the snow in front of you for tracks of the critters that live there. I enjoy seeing images such as this that left a lasting memory. Good stuff!👍
Thank you. Yes, it is moments like this that keep my wife and I going out in the field several times a week year around. She is my photo partner and best friend

Back