Lens cap/cover for Nikon 120-300 F2.8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

andrewwx

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hi Everybody.

I was recently fortunate enough to acquire a Nikon 120 to 300 F2.8. It certainly lives up to its advanced billing as a wonderful lens. My only problem with it is the front cover which is a soft Velcro a thing that doesn’t stay on very well at all. Has anybody found a useful replacement something more secure and a little less bulky?

Also should I replace the foot with something else maybe from Kirk or really right stuff?

thanks,

Andrew

Hi Everybody.

I was recently fortunate enough to acquire a Nikon 120 to 300 F2.8. It certainly lives up to its advanced billing as a wonderful lens. My only problem with it is the front cover which is a soft Velcro a thing that doesn’t stay on very well at all. Has anybody found a useful replacement something more secure and a little less bulky?

Also should I replace the foot with something else maybe from Kirk or really right stuff?

thanks,

Andrew
I have two covers I use, depending on situation. Both came from LensCoat. I got the Hoodie which is a neoprene cover that goes on/off pretty easily (but stays relatively secure when on) and the Raincap which is a waterproof fabric type thing with an elastic drawstring. The Raincap is nice because you can fold/squish it down to a fairly small size and stuff it in a pocket pretty easily.

For the foot, I got the Wimberley replacement foot.

I've used LensCoat Hoodies for many of my lenses. I like the fact that the surface covering the lens is fairly firm, giving the lens protection when walking around. And yet they are flexible enough to stuff in a camera bag, large coat pocket or vest when shooting.

Last edited:
I really like the Aqua Tech soft caps but they stopped making them. Occasionally you can find one on Ebay or elsewhere. Not sure if there is a size for the 120 - 300 F.28

I just ordered a neoprene hood by Lenscoat for my 180-400 TC, as it's the only solution available fast ie locally. I have found the neoprene lens covers made by Lenscoat are very poorly stitched. A retrospective lesson is to glue all loose stitches with gorilla glue to try and stop the cover self destructing in use....

I much prefer this UK brand for quality and service. I'm pleased with the quality of their camo hides and lens covers, as the lens covers have strong blanket stitching around all the edges as well as seams.
It appears these products are available via their website only, although they do export

Last edited:
Thanks everyone - I am going to try the LensCoat - I hope it does not self destruct:(.
I have never had a LensCoat product have seam problems....or fraying or....??? anything else. Maybe its the care they are given, or the problems are a small % of the sales made, or I'm just lucky...or I'm SURE it is because I don't shoot enough!

Very pleased with this product. I bought one for my 400 and 600.

Can I second this if I haven't specifically bought his lens caps? I've bought his lens hoods for my 400mm f2.8 AF-S and my 500mm f5.6 PF. Very well built hoods, plus the guy was great to work with. He listed the one for the 400mm as fitting the VR version, which isn't mine, and he was willing to let me return it if it didn't fit, which it did. That's pretty good customer service in my book. I've been thinking of getting lens caps for both my 400 and 600.

I appreciate all the recommendations, and orders! You folks have me too busy making parts and packing boxes to spend much time cruising the forums. @andrewwx, I believe I have a cap for you - will ship on Tuesday.

Thanks - I am looking forward to it. Given all the positive reviews I am sure I will not be disappointed.

While I am happy to support a great small businessman, I do think that Nikon should provide a better solution for their 5 figure lenses!

I just placed my order for lens caps for my 400mm and 600mm. Like you @andrewwx, I'm more than happy to support a great small businessman. Plus I've already bought hoods from Karl for my 400mm and 500mm PF and couldn't be happier with them!

I received my Zemlin cap today - it fits perfectly. Thanks everyone for the very helpful advice.
Zemlin.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Mine arrived today as well, and I couldn't be happier. Fit is perfect. And Karl included a nice little touch...or maybe he thinks I need a little mental help? ;)

And for those looking for alternative lens hoods, the 400mm on the left has Karl's 2-piece lens hood. So much better than the stock hood, in my opinion. Bayonets like smaller lenses, and very well built. If you're looking for a replacement, I'd encourage you to check his out. I have absolutely no affiliation with him, just a very a happy customer.

20220318_195108.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back