Lens cover for Nikon Nikkor Z 800mm F/6.3 VR S lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

cr_wildlife

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I realize that Nikon has not been doing much of a job of getting new gear into the hands of its customers. However, I got my name on the list of the Z mount 800mm f//6.3 lens as early as possible and am fortunate to have received it recently. While I have not used the lens extensively, I did use it as my long telephoto lens on my recent trip to Africa. Overall, I am really pleased with how the lens performed. My only two nitpicks are that the focus ring seems to me to be farther back on the lens than on other Nikkor lenses, so I have to search around for the ring when I am looking through the viewfinder and want to use it. I am sure I will eventually get used to this, but it is different from other lenses that I use. Second, I REALLY don't like the lens cover, which is a soft, padded sack that fits over the entire hood and cinches closed with a drawstring. I found a substitute made by BioluminousArt on Etsy, of all places, and ordered one. The cover arrived today. It works like an old fashioned cover, where you squeeze two pieces on the sides, put the cover on the lens, then release, and the sides spring out and lock it in place. This hood exceeds my exceptions. The springs are really strong and hold the cover in place well. The cover costs $70 and shipping is free. You can see what this looks like at the website: bioluminous.etsy.com. I highly recommend this cover! Are you listening, Nikon?

Zemlin (referenced elsewhere in this forum) also provides caps and hoods of excellent quality and operation for a number of lenses (including the 800PF).
As the title will likely interest others, I'm placing this reply to help in their search.

Zemlin (referenced elsewhere in this forum) also provides caps and hoods of excellent quality and operation for a number of lenses (including the 800PF).
As the title will likely interest others, I'm placing this reply to help in their search.
Ok, thanks.

Check out this thread.

Also, I have the Zemlin lens cap on my Z 600mm TC. LOVE IT!

And this thread....
Karen,
The lens cover that comes with the 600 mm is far less objectionable. However, I am fortunate in that the Dive Tech lens cover from my f mount 600mm fits the Z mount lens perfectly, so I am not looking for a cover for it! The Zemlin caps cost $15.00 more and are out of stock. This is one is hand made to order and is also really good.
If you ever make it out this way (San Francisco area), let me know!
Corey

When I got my Z 800mm a year ago, I immediately ordered the Zemlin cap and the Zemlin hood.
The Zemlin cap is incredibly good. I don't know of anything better.
I also liked the Zemlin hood better than the hood supplied by Nikon. Zemlin offers a number of hood choices in terms of length of hood and number of sections, 1 or 2. I chose the single section hood that was the same length as the hood Nikon supplies with the lens.

Back