Lens Mount Adapters

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MrFotoFool

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I wonder if any of you have experience using a lens mount adapter? By this I mean an adapter to put a lens on a body it is not designed for. Specifically, I am interested in adapters that let you mount Sony E lenses on Nikon Z cameras.
NikonRumors announced this new Fotodiox Adapter: https://nikonrumors.com/2023/06/25/...era-smart-autofocus-adapter.aspx/#more-182825

However, when I read the few reviews under the three adaptors listed on B&H, there are consistent reports of them failing to work after a short time. In at least one case it failed to work after they installed a camera update. Does anyone here have real world experience using these (either yourself or a photographer you personally know)?

If you're referring to the Megadap ETZ adapter, check out this thread including post #146 as apparently that problem was solved with an update to the adapter firmware: https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/z9-firmware-4-0-available.25293/page-6
Thanks. Yes the issue was solved whey they updated their Z9 to firmware 4.0. However I have a Z8 on order and am unsure of support based on how the Z8 will not work with third party batteries. (It reportedly gives a warning on the LCD that the battery is not supported). I wonder if the Z8 would do the same if a different mount lens is attached?

Thanks. Yes the issue was solved whey they updated their Z9 to firmware 4.0. However I have a Z8 on order and am unsure of support based on how the Z8 will not work with third party batteries. (It reportedly gives a warning on the LCD that the battery is not supported). I wonder if the Z8 would do the same if a different mount lens is attached?
FWIW, the Z9 also gives that warning unless very specific third party batteries are used. I got that warning with the Wasabi EN-EL 18 B and C batteries that worked fine in my D5 and D6 but not with a Wasabi EN-EL 18D that works fine in my Z9. IOW, the incompatible battery warning isn't unique to the Z8.

The key thing on well designed adapters like the Megadap is that they accept their own firmware updates and can be evolved to deal with firmware upgrades on the camera end. If they were able to rapidly adapt to the Z9 firmware update within days of the new Nikon firmware release I suspect they can just as rapidly adapt to Z8 firmware changes.

I don't see this as Nikon taking explicit steps to prohibit the use of third party accessories on the Z8 or other cameras as much as technical requirements evolving so that some legacy or third party system components including batteries and adapters sometimes fall behind and have to upgrade their own designs or firmware to stay compatible. The fact that Wasabi was able to release a version D battery to remain compatible with the Z9 and Megadap was able to supply a firmware upgrade to their adapters to remain compatible with the Z9 suggests this isn't a Nikon step to prohibit the use of third party system components as much as normal third party compatibility issues that can be resolved. However, if I was looking at a third party lens adapter I'd go with something like the Megadap that can accept firmware updates.

That said you might reach out to some of the forum members from that Z9 firmware update thread that posted that they're using the Megadap or other adapters to support the Sony 200-600mm lens on their Nikon mirrorless cameras. They should be able to give you first hand reports of their experiences and I suspect some also shoot the Z8 with that adapter.

Back