Lessons from a first-time visit to Magee

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Carmel Nikon

Supporting Member
Marketplace
In early May, I enjoyed my first visit to Magee Marsh in NW Ohio. A few caveats: I am only a year into bird photography, am not a pro (just a hack 40+ year amateur), and my skills pale vs the amazing work I’ve seen on this forum (you people are my superstars!). I visited the marsh 3 times around a work commitment (once mid-morning and twice during afternoons) – so missed the best early am and evening times. With all that, here are my observations:
  • Magee’s boardwalk is not the only area to visit, but to me was the best. Lots of quick and easy access to habitat, vs other trails in the area. For efficient getting around, it works.
  • Mosquitoes and other insect pests were non-existent when I went. Not sure if this was a time of day or year thing, but the usual plague of marsh photography was totally absent.
  • Crowds were there…but for the most part, they were quiet, friendly and eager to offer advice and encouragement (plus warbler identification) to this newbie. I was not stressed by them, despite the occasional gaggle of birders/photographers around a ‘hotspot’.
  • As a seasoned wildlife person would expect, it was more productive to scout an opportunity and stay with it, than hop from location to location.
  • I took a Z8 and used three Nikon lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8, 400mm f/4.5 and 600mm f/6.3. A few smaller focal length ones I brought never left the bag.
  • MFD turned out to be tops in my lens choice decision tree. For example, one warbler plopped down on a branch just 5 feet from me and preened for minutes! I fortunately was able to capture it with a 70-200 just in time. For other shots, 600 was perfect. My 3 lens MFD’s were 3, 8 and 12 feet. The distance to a given bird at any given moment made any lens choice either brilliant or stupid – there was just no one ‘perfect’ lens for Magee.
  • The brush was in most cases close to the boardwalk, and in most areas, thick. In my view, an 800mm lens would have been a poor choice, as birds needing that reach were usually so obscured by brush they were not viable subjects. 600mm was as much reach as seemed practical on the boardwalk. Most of the time, 400 was the useful max.
  • Timing was everything. I quickly learned warblers won’t stay still for an instant and hopped around every 5 to 10 seconds. ANY skill gaps in knowing your autofocus system will cause lost shots. Pre-focusing on a distance where you guess the warbler will land next was helpful in nailing autofocus before it moved on. This, for me, makes warbler photography the most challenging of all my photo adventures, and I found it addicting.
  • The many dozens of warbler species at Magee during migration made for another fun element, a “how many can I collect” vibe. In addition of course to trying to land best-possible images. I ended up photographing 14 warbler species, 21 other bird species, and assorted snakes and turtles, all in 3 sessions covering under 15 hours total (at non-ideal times).
For fun, I’ll post one image here, taken with the 70-200 from 6 feet away (just off the boardwalk, with me hiding behind a tree adjacent to it). A female prothonotary warbler was working hard to feed and prepare for the flight across Lake Erie, when a male unexpectedly popped out in front of her, flapping his wings and perhaps trying to entice her to ditch her work ethic and mate instead. I enjoyed this behavioral vignette, which came from taking the time to patiently wait, observe, and try to understand their behavior while respecting their space.

Prothonotary Warbler post.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Thank you for reading, and for your patience with my ‘beginner’s lessons’, most of which are probably obvious to seasoned bird photographers. It was an amazing first encounter with May migration at Magee. If you have additional thoughts, counterpoints, or other insights, I’m eager to hear them. I’m already looking forward to May 2025!

Last edited:
Very nice write-up, thanks. I hope to get there someday.

Alan, it's well worth it. If you do visit, there are a number of Toledo-based hotels (some very reasonably priced) that are within an easy 35 minute drive of Magee. I found it a very accessible location for an out-of-town traveler, with plenty of nearby amenities. Almost too convenient, vs some of the remote places we go for wildlife photography!

Very nice write up! You should post some more pics. I love to see them, and miss migration season already.

Your feedback was very similar to mine as I visited for the first time this year. I found MFD was key, and between 400-600mm focal length was perfect. it made the 400TC the ideal choice.

I definitely wouldn't bring the 800PF, and I'd be hesitant with the 600PF. I'd think the 400 4.5 with or without TC would be great. Or better yet, the 180-600.

Alan, it's well worth it. If you do visit, there are a number of Toledo-based hotels (some very reasonably priced) that are within an easy 35 minute drive of Magee. I found it a very accessible location for an out-of-town traveler, with plenty of nearby amenities. Almost too convenient, vs some of the remote places we go for wildlife photography!
It's on my list! We want to take a long trip from ca to the northeast to see upstate ny where my wife grew up. (Not in winter, lol).
Seeing those warblers and having MFD being an issue sounds great. Western warblers are often mostly in the tree tops. I've only seen a few of those eastern warblers since I grew up and have lived mostly on the west coast.
Thanks again.

Yes, great account! I just want to drop in here that Prothonotary warblers actually breed at Magee, so the male's idea of mating at that moment was a sound and sensible one. I will add that at these migrant traps generally some of the best photo opportunities come from the birds that breed there. When I was at Tawas Point in Michigan in May the Yellow warblers, Warbling vireos, and Eastern kingbirds on territory were the easiest to photograph.

I also went to Magee Marsh for the first time this May. It was certainly a target-rich environment. My photo buddy and I spent as much time at the next-door Ottawa NWR, which is a bit harder to work than Magee but has a lot to offer, too (and is much less crowded.) We also found the nearby Metzger Marsh worth a stop, although it is much more limited than either of the other two. I put together a small album of my three-day visit here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/65203824@N03/albums/72177720317091734/ FWIW

I've been there a few times during migration and several more times in "off season". Your assessment on the area during the migration mirrors mine. Well done write up. Thank you for sharing.

Back