Let's talk all things 600mm f4; building a system around this lens and my dilemma!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DavidT

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hello everyone!
I want to explore building a system around a 600mm f4 lens used for wildlife.

A quick bio about me. I started photography 32 years ago shooting Canon F1N and my last cameras were Nikon F5's until November 2019. I took a very long break from photography while building a family and career. This is when I found Steve and his amazing reviews and books/videos of Nikon equipment. After looking at Canon, Nikon and Sony I decided to go with Nikon.

Since I am newly invested in a system I have bought about 60% of my gear used and frankly only use a few pieces of kit since my photography path has been wildlife and nature (it was a passion back in the day but paid the bills in the early years doing weddings and photojournalism).

My current gear is:
Nikon D850, Z6 and D500 (D500 will soon be sold)
Nikon 14-30 Z
Tamron 24-70 2.8 (used once)
Nikon 300mm f2.8 (selling soon to fund 600mm)
Nikon 70-200 f2.8 E (I don't use often but when I do I am blown away at how sharp it is!)
Nikon 200-500 (I use it the most but find it slow and not long enough, however for $750 it is impossible to beat)
Nikon 105 Micro (in love with this lens! I use it the second most)
Nikon 1.4x II (will sell and update to III)
Nikon 2x III converters

So now that I have laid out all of what I have and what I am getting rid of lets talk about the 600mm!

As you all know a 600mm f4 is expensive as crap! Whatever brand of 600 I land on will dictate the brand I continue to build a system around.

I originally planned on going Nikon 600mm G used however looking into this further I plan on buying an E if I stay with Nikon. I am open to new or used so figure a budget of $9-12,500K.

I will want to invest into a new body as well so if Nikon D5 or D6 for improved AF performance, increased FPS, and high ISO capabilities.

This is where my dilemma begins!

I enjoy my DSLR and really only have one issue and that is the area of focus points. I fight with having an eyeball on a focus point with a DSLR and the Z6 solves all these problems however it sucks with subjects that are flying etc. Not looking to rehash the Z cameras, it is what it is right now. The mirrorless cameras are lighter which is a second plus but other than that I am fine with DSLR.

This leads me to what should I do? Do I invest into a Nikon 600 and D5 or D6? I will assume Nikon will come out with the Z camera we have all wanted and I can wait however a D5/6 body is a rather large investment along with the lens. I also don't see Nikon coming out with a Z mount 600mm for 5 plus years.

Do I go to Sony 600mm and buy a a9ii? If I went this route I would likely sell the D850, pick up a high MP Sony, a macro and the 200-600 zoom and call it a day. I would probably keep the Z camera with the 2 wide angles I hardly use for the time and replace with Sony as money and need make sense.

Do I go with Canon 600mm and buy a R5 or two or an R5 and EOS-1DX III? I would also do the same as above and buy a macro and super zoom and change out the Z and wide angles at a later date. I don't see Canon coming out with a new R series 600mm for a while. Canon R5 animal eye AF looks mind blowing! I can imagine having the camera doing the heavy lifting of tracking the eye and allowing me to focus on the composition I want and getting the shot would be worth its weight in gold!

The Canon and Sony 600 weigh the same with Nikon being heavier. The Canon and Sony cost about the same with the Nikon being a little cheaper. Sony bodies are cheaper with Canon and Nikon pro bodies about the same cost. Canon seems to beat everyone with buffer, fast cards. Canon and Nikon still have a legacy of glass that was and still is appealing for wanting/needing some specialty glass. This is a long term advantage but in the short term all 3 make new glass I would want and use the most.

I see using the 600, super zoom and macro the most. I am not heavily invested yet in Nikon so if I am going to change this is the time. I am looking at May next year to have all the cash to buy the 600mm and at least 1 or possibly 2 new bodies. If I go Nikon 600 then I have to stay invested in Nikon as the 600 would probably be used 80% if the time.

What would you do?

Thanks for all the comments and consideration!

David

Hi David,

I have the D850 and the 600/4E FL. The D850 works fine for most BIF photography (but not all). It also works fine with the TC14III. I would keep the D850, buy the 600/4E next year and wait until Nikon comes out with a professional mirrorless and buy it. It won't come soon, so you will have time to save the money for it. I'm sure you will be able to use the 600 with that too.

I enjoy my DSLR and really only have one issue and that is the area of focus points.
Just know that a move to a D5 won't resolve that issue. The focus points are still grouped towards the center of the viewfinder in the D5. The D500 and the mirrorless cameras are your best bet if your want wall to wall focus point options. Personally I run Back Button Auto Focus with my camera's including my D5 and D850 which makes it easy to focus on an eye and recompose as necessary as long as the subject isn't moving around too much.

My current custom control settings have the set AF mode (typically Group or a smaller Dynamic mode) assigned to the AF On button on the back and Single Point AF set to the PV button up front. That's been working well for a lightning fast switch between more static shooting (Single Point on the eye) and action shots (Group or Dynamic).

Have you considered the Nikon F4E 180mm-400mm with the built in 1.4 TC? It is about the same price and weight but offers so much versatility. With the TC on the 400mm extends to 560mm , Wait there is more.....if you change the D850 from FX to DX you are then at 840mm with half the pixels but still a respectable ~23 megapixels. (More than the D500) As a wildlife photographer getting that range from one Lentse easily is hard to resist.

Have you considered the Nikon F4E 180mm-400mm with the built in 1.4 TC? It is about the same price and weight but offers so much versatility. With the TC on the 400mm extends to 560mm , Wait there is more.....if you change the D850 from FX to DX you are then at 840mm with half the pixels but still a respectable ~23 megapixels. (More than the D500) As a wildlife photographer getting that range from one Lentse easily is hard to resist.
No I really haven’t. I’m currently using a 200-500 and I’m at 500mm 99% of the time and wishing I had more power. So for me a 600mm paired with a 1.4x is what I’m after.

Just know that a move to a D5 won't resolve that issue. The focus points are still grouped towards the center of the viewfinder in the D5. The D500 and the mirrorless cameras are your best bet if your want wall to wall focus point options. Personally I run Back Button Auto Focus with my camera's including my D5 and D850 which makes it easy to focus on an eye and recompose as necessary as long as the subject isn't moving around too much.

My current custom control settings have the set AF mode (typically Group or a smaller Dynamic mode) assigned to the AF On button on the back and Single Point AF set to the PV button up front. That's been working well for a lightning fast switch between more static shooting (Single Point on the eye) and action shots (Group or Dynamic).
Yup I’ve very aware the D5/6 doesn’t solve the issue of focus points. That’s why the Canon R5 and Sony systems are so appealing. My Z6 gives me a taste of what’s possible but the current Z bodies don’t deliver the level of AF and viewfinder blackout that makes them very desirable for my type of photography. Seeing the R5 capability with little birds and keeping locked on their eye is what I wish my Z would do.

No I really haven’t. I’m currently using a 200-500 and I’m at 500mm 99% of the time and wishing I had more power. So for me a 600mm paired with a 1.4x is what I’m after.
In that case, I would recommend you took the Sony option. It is the OEM mngr. for the chips & more financially stable. Even as a Nikon fan with a huge investment, I am torn over the possibility of making the same move Due to quality of the products

I too currently have a D500 and a D850. I have the Nikon 200-500 for my "walk around" lens and I have a 600 f4 AFS lens for tripod/monopod work. I am happy with what I have and what my abilities are at the moment. I realize that I won't be able to keep chasing the latest and greatest gear much longer but I too wonder how long it will be before I feel the need/desire to move to mirrorless.... if that happens I would desire it to be with Nikon, because at this point in my life I don't feel like selling everything and starting over with a different brand!

Google Hector Astorga Photography. His August newsletter explains why he switched from Nikon to Sony. I have photographed with him a few times and respect his views. If you like birds, especially small birds, buy the Nikon 600mm f4 and use it. If you will be using full frame bodies for most of your photography you will need the extra reach of the 600mm.
For macro work, if you use manual focus a lot, consider selling your Nikon 105 and get the less expensive manual focus IRIX 150mm f2.8 with a tripod collar mount. If you do not use your 70-200 f2.8 sell it and use the $$ for something else. Regarding your 300mm f2.8 I am assuming you do not need it for its low light shooting situations. You could replace it with the Nion 300mm f4 pf lens, small and light and very sharp. If you do a lot of low light photography, consider keeping your f 2.8 lenses as you will need their extra speed. I find that I use a 300mm lens with an extension tube a lot for macro work when the critters like dragon flies are too far away for normal macro lenses.

Google Hector Astorga Photography. His August newsletter explains why he switched from Nikon to Sony. I have photographed with him a few times and respect his views. If you like birds, especially small birds, buy the Nikon 600mm f4 and use it. If you will be using full frame bodies for most of your photography you will need the extra reach of the 600mm.
For macro work, if you use manual focus a lot, consider selling your Nikon 105 and get the less expensive manual focus IRIX 150mm f2.8 with a tripod collar mount. If you do not use your 70-200 f2.8 sell it and use the $$ for something else. Regarding your 300mm f2.8 I am assuming you do not need it for its low light shooting situations. You could replace it with the Nion 300mm f4 pf lens, small and light and very sharp. If you do a lot of low light photography, consider keeping your f 2.8 lenses as you will need their extra speed. I find that I use a 300mm lens with an extension tube a lot for macro work when the critters like dragon flies are too far away for normal macro lenses.

Interesting read. Thank you!

I've got the D850, Z6, and recently sold the D500. I've also got most of the lenses you have including the 600mm f/4 AFS VR. The Nikon 600mm f/4 lenses are all very good - spectacularly sharp. While the E version is clearly lighter, I'm not sure that it is really worth paying 50-60% above the price of the prior version. There are some great deals on used 500mm and 600mm f/4 lenses.

In my testing, I saw very little difference between the TC14E II and III. I have both. The II is used with my 300 f/4 AFS for a light birding kit, and the III is not compatible. I also use the II with my 105 f/2.8 VR macro. When testing the two on the 600 f/4 AFS VR and D850, I saw very little difference. The main advantage of the III is a little better microcontrast when viewed at 200%. I have been very happy with the III teleconverter on my Z6, but have not done enough side by side testing to work through specifics. I don't know that upgrading from the II to the III is really a necessary change.

I know Hector and he's a very good wildlife photographer. I think his logic is based on some incorrect perceptions and has some fundamental flaws. The Nikon FTZ has none of the drawbacks Hector referenced that are true when using non-manufacturer adapters. The FTZ and Z cameras were designed to work together from the beginning - and they do. Hector's list of Nikon lenses was good, but generally consisted of older lenses that were not well known for optics given the alternatives today. Seriously - the 200-400, the 24-70, and the 16-35 are average at best - and I have all three lenses. I don't know which 500mm lens he was using, but the newest version is excellent and sharper than the Sony 200-600. I've looked at the long lens options with Nikon and they are exceptional - unless you have a wrong-minded view of the FTZ. There are at least 13 lenses Nikon users can consider with professional level performance. A number of those lenses are sharper than the Sony 200-600 which is a very good lens. While the decision may work for Hector, I'm hearing the upcoming Z camera will be a full pro model that is on par or better than alternatives. I don't fault Hector for making a choice on gear - I just don't agree with the thought process.

Last edited:
Hi Eric
I’m on the verge of buying the new 600mm f4 & was going to pair it up with my D500 & just wanted to hear your thoughts as I see you said you sold your D500.

The 600 f/4 pairs well with the D500, D850, or Z6/Z7.

I find that for flight, 600mm on a DX body is too long. That's 900mm equivalent, and the field of view is tiny. It's like looking through a straw. For perched and slow moving subjects that's not a problem. My preference of FX over DX comes from the difference in backgrounds. For wildlife I almost always prefer the cleaner blurred background of FX over DX. So I can use the FX image at 600mm and until I reach a DX crop, the FX background is better. With the D850, even my DX crop is about the same.

My take is the D500 has a small advantage over the D850 at long distances because of viewfinder magnification. My AF keeper rate was slightly higher (3-5% - within the margin of error) for moving subjects (mainly with Group AF). File sizes are smaller which is a positive for high volume work. But these are small benefits. With the addition of the Z6 as a standard resolution camera, I went over a year without using the D500 at all. It only made the bag as a backup camera for one long trip when I knew wildlife was likely. Since getting rid of the D500, I've never missed it.

Thanks Eric.
I also want to get a second body & am looking at the D850 as after reading all the feedback about the Nikon mirrorless system am not completely sold at the moment.
Did you get the battery grip with the D850?

I've got the D850, Z6, and recently sold the D500. I've also got most of the lenses you have including the 600mm f/4 AFS VR. The Nikon 600mm f/4 lenses are all very good - spectacularly sharp. While the E version is clearly lighter, I'm not sure that it is really worth paying 50-60% above the price of the prior version. There are some great deals on used 500mm and 600mm f/4 lenses.

In my testing, I saw very little difference between the TC14E II and III. I have both. The II is used with my 300 f/4 AFS for a light birding kit, and the III is not compatible. I also use the II with my 105 f/2.8 VR macro. When testing the two on the 600 f/4 AFS VR and D850, I saw very little difference. The main advantage of the III is a little better microcontrast when viewed at 200%. I have been very happy with the III teleconverter on my Z6, but have not done enough side by side testing to work through specifics. I don't know that upgrading from the II to the III is really a necessary change.

I know Hector and he's a very good wildlife photographer. I think his logic is based on some incorrect perceptions and has some fundamental flaws. The Nikon FTZ has none of the drawbacks Hector referenced that are true when using non-manufacturer adapters. The FTZ and Z cameras were designed to work together from the beginning - and they do. Hector's list of Nikon lenses was good, but generally consisted of older lenses that were not well known for optics given the alternatives today. Seriously - the 200-400, the 24-70, and the 16-35 are average at best - and I have all three lenses. I don't know which 500mm lens he was using, but the newest version is excellent and sharper than the Sony 200-600. I've looked at the long lens options with Nikon and they are exceptional - unless you have a wrong-minded view of the FTZ. There are at least 13 lenses Nikon users can consider with professional level performance. A number of those lenses are sharper than the Sony 200-600 which is a very good lens. While the decision may work for Hector, I'm hearing the upcoming Z camera will be a full pro model that is on par or better than alternatives. I don't fault Hector for making a choice on gear - I just don't agree with the thought process.
Good call outs. I also felt the same on the adapter, I haven't had any issues with it and Nikon F lenses on the Z6. I do agree that a native mount is preferred but I doubt Nikon or Canon will deliver a 600MM f4 lens in a mirrorless mount until the next Olympics or further.

I have been looking into it and the Canon R5 and Sony A9ii with animal eye AF is simply astonishing! I won't have all the cash to add the 600 and another body such as a D6 until May next year (I will have a huge bonus coming next year so that will be the time to make a change in gear or add a 600 to my current system). So I am gathering information on what is available today and fingers crossed Nikon blows us a way with a Z body that performs like an A9.

I built a B&H cart this morning and found that if I made a total switch to Sony and purchased the 90 macro, 100-400, 200-600, 600, 1.4TC,A9 ii, A7r4, OEM grips for both cameras It would cost me around $30K. Minus the equipment I have now I could do a total swap to Sony for around $20K. I suspect I could possibly find an item or two used to save a little money. I also could hold off on one of the super zooms which just makes it even cheaper.

I built a B&H cart adding the 600 Nikon, 1.4TC and a D6 and that comes in at $20K keeping what I have. This would also give me the D850, Z6 and D6 and the lenses I have minus the 300 I want to sell and the D500 I will be selling. Very similar systems and ironically same out of pocket minus a wide angle which wouldn't be a priority since I have used mine twice in a year. However with the current offerings I wouldn't get the animal AF which I find as a huge advantage for what I do.

It's an interesting place to be.

Good call outs. I also felt the same on the adapter, I haven't had any issues with it and Nikon F lenses on the Z6. I do agree that a native mount is preferred but I doubt Nikon or Canon will deliver a 600MM f4 lens in a mirrorless mount until the next Olympics or further.

I have been looking into it and the Canon R5 and Sony A9ii with animal eye AF is simply astonishing! I won't have all the cash to add the 600 and another body such as a D6 until May next year (I will have a huge bonus coming next year so that will be the time to make a change in gear or add a 600 to my current system). So I am gathering information on what is available today and fingers crossed Nikon blows us a way with a Z body that performs like an A9.

I built a B&H cart this morning and found that if I made a total switch to Sony and purchased the 90 macro, 100-400, 200-600, 600, 1.4TC,A9 ii, A7r4, OEM grips for both cameras It would cost me around $30K. Minus the equipment I have now I could do a total swap to Sony for around $20K. I suspect I could possibly find an item or two used to save a little money. I also could hold off on one of the super zooms which just makes it even cheaper.

I built a B&H cart adding the 600 Nikon, 1.4TC and a D6 and that comes in at $20K keeping what I have. This would also give me the D850, Z6 and D6 and the lenses I have minus the 300 I want to sell and the D500 I will be selling. Very similar systems and ironically same out of pocket minus a wide angle which wouldn't be a priority since I have used mine twice in a year. However with the current offerings I wouldn't get the animal AF which I find as a huge advantage for what I do.

It's an interesting place to be.
I have used and owned the d850, d500, sony a9 and a7riv and a7iii. I have not used the 600mm lens for either system, but used the 200-600 on sony and 100-400 on sony, as well as the tamron g2 150-600 on nikon. Mirrorless is where the future is headed and sonys autofocusing system is LEAPS AND BOUNDS ahead of nikon for birds in flight (im talking a9 here a7riv is better than d850 but a9 is in another league). That being said, you have a professional nikon system that is exquisite. There is nothing inherently "wrong" with it. Unless you need something that weights much less (talking a couple pounds). Or you prefer mirrorless advantages vs dslr (which i wont hash out here). I would say stick with what you have and get a 600mm F4. No need to buy a d5/6 currently with what you have. Lens is more important and you current bodies will do wonderful with the 600 f4 (d850 would be great). Then decide whether or not to buy the "next best nikon" pro mirrorless body probably in the spring of 2021 or something.

In my experience (switching systems like 4 times in the last 2 years due to trying them all out and GAS), it is best to stick to one system and not switch unless the switch is due to a need to have lighter gear or youre a pro and one system has a CLEAR advantage over the other.

You will get the exact same quality images (probably better with nikon since youre so used to it and have the BEST lenses possible already) as compared with sony and it will save A TON OF HEADACHES from having to sell all your stuff.

Nikon gear DOES NOT move fast on ebay, craigslist etc. believe me i just sold my d850, d500 and lesnes within the last year and i had to take a big loss because theres not enough demand. Sony has a ton of demand so it retains its value very well, but you dont wanna have to deal with selling those nikon items its super annoying.

In summary, my recommendation would be keep what you have and buy a 600mm nikon lens and youre done. Sell what you need to make that easier to swallow and save yourself 20,000 for 5 vacations.

If you decide to sell anything, let me know as I am looking to get back into photography again .

Good luck!

I have used and owned the d850, d500, sony a9 and a7riv and a7iii. I have not used the 600mm lens for either system, but used the 200-600 on sony and 100-400 on sony, as well as the tamron g2 150-600 on nikon. Mirrorless is where the future is headed and sonys autofocusing system is LEAPS AND BOUNDS ahead of nikon for birds in flight (im talking a9 here a7riv is better than d850 but a9 is in another league). That being said, you have a professional nikon system that is exquisite. There is nothing inherently "wrong" with it. Unless you need something that weights much less (talking a couple pounds). Or you prefer mirrorless advantages vs dslr (which i wont hash out here). I would say stick with what you have and get a 600mm F4. No need to buy a d5/6 currently with what you have. Lens is more important and you current bodies will do wonderful with the 600 f4 (d850 would be great). Then decide whether or not to buy the "next best nikon" pro mirrorless body probably in the spring of 2021 or something.

In my experience (switching systems like 4 times in the last 2 years due to trying them all out and GAS), it is best to stick to one system and not switch unless the switch is due to a need to have lighter gear or youre a pro and one system has a CLEAR advantage over the other.

You will get the exact same quality images (probably better with nikon since youre so used to it and have the BEST lenses possible already) as compared with sony and it will save A TON OF HEADACHES from having to sell all your stuff.

Nikon gear DOES NOT move fast on ebay, craigslist etc. believe me i just sold my d850, d500 and lesnes within the last year and i had to take a big loss because theres not enough demand. Sony has a ton of demand so it retains its value very well, but you dont wanna have to deal with selling those nikon items its super annoying.

In summary, my recommendation would be keep what you have and buy a 600mm nikon lens and youre done. Sell what you need to make that easier to swallow and save yourself 20,000 for 5 vacations.

If you decide to sell anything, let me know as I am looking to get back into photography again .

Good luck!
That is definitely an option. For me the 600mm is the largest single piece of gear I will own so that either anchors me into Nikon or I build a new system from another brand around their 600. Frankly I am ok with any solution however if I am going to make a change the right time is when I buy the 600. With all things considered Animal Eye AF tracking is the biggest motivator to change systems. If Nikon comes out with a competitive solution prior to May of next year when I make the investment then I would more likely stay. I could run 2 systems for a while but not preferred. The 600 for me will be a 7 plus year investment and frankly unless something crazy better where to come out it could last me significantly longer. The cameras on the other hand I can see updating in 5 year increments.

That is definitely an option. For me the 600mm is the largest single piece of gear I will own so that either anchors me into Nikon or I build a new system from another brand around their 600. Frankly I am ok with any solution however if I am going to make a change the right time is when I buy the 600. With all things considered Animal Eye AF tracking is the biggest motivator to change systems. If Nikon comes out with a competitive solution prior to May of next year when I make the investment then I would more likely stay. I could run 2 systems for a while but not preferred. The 600 for me will be a 7 plus year investment and frankly unless something crazy better where to come out it could last me significantly longer. The cameras on the other hand I can see updating in 5 year increments.
In my opinion, from what I have seen and researched, the sony 600mm is newer and sharper than the nikon. In my opinion Sony AF and mirrorless is WAY better than any other mirrorless/dslr (ive used and owned: nikon, sony, fuji). Sony has better resale, retains its value, is newer, has way more tech, and a vastly superior AF. If you can put up with the headache of selling gear, you wont be disappointed by sony. You will take a hit on what you paid for your nikon gear, but if that is ok with you then sony is a vastly superior investment for the next 7 years as it stands today.

In my opinion, from what I have seen and researched, the sony 600mm is newer and sharper than the nikon. In my opinion Sony AF and mirrorless is WAY better than any other mirrorless/dslr (ive used and owned: nikon, sony, fuji). Sony has better resale, retains its value, is newer, has way more tech, and a vastly superior AF. If you can put up with the headache of selling gear, you wont be disappointed by sony. You will take a hit on what you paid for your nikon gear, but if that is ok with you then sony is a vastly superior investment for the next 7 years as it stands today.
Yeah I am willing to take the hit. Fortunately I bought most of my gear used at great prices. I think in most cases I could sell for what I paid for the gear.

I have the 600mm E lens and shoot with the D850 and the autofocus is not a problem. When I tested the D5 against the D850 the only situation where the D5 was better was when focusing on a rapidly approaching bird which is the most challenging situation for a autofocus system. In very low light the D850 autofocus is better than the D5. The D6 is a big upgrade over the D5 autofocus system that dates back to the 2007 D3 camera but for the addition of the dedicated autofocus processor chip.

For me it still comes down to a 20MP camera versus a 45MP camera. A DX crop from the D850 still gives me a 19MP output as compared to the D5/D6 that provides a 8.9MP sensor for output. 50% more resoluton from the D850 means I can use a shorter lens or forego using a teleconverter more of the time. The 600mm f/4 on the D850 provides a higher resolution output file than the D5/D6 with the 600mm f/4 and the TC-14 teleconverter for a 840mm f/5.6 lens. A relevant apples to apples autofocus comparison would be with the D850 and the 600mm lens against the D6 with the lens with the T-14 teleconverter attached.

If I was shooting sports or weddings then the D6 would be of interest and I would own one. I wish that Nikon would provide more sensor resolution options as is the case with Canon. My wife shoots with a full Olympus MFT mirrorless kit and so for me the consideration is about having an electronic viewfinder instead of an optical viewfinder. Outdoors in bright light I much prefer the optical viewfinder.

Hello everyone!
I want to explore building a system around a 600mm f4 lens used for wildlife.

A quick bio about me. I started photography 32 years ago shooting Canon F1N and my last cameras were Nikon F5's until November 2019. I took a very long break from photography while building a family and career. This is when I found Steve and his amazing reviews and books/videos of Nikon equipment. After looking at Canon, Nikon and Sony I decided to go with Nikon.

Since I am newly invested in a system I have bought about 60% of my gear used and frankly only use a few pieces of kit since my photography path has been wildlife and nature (it was a passion back in the day but paid the bills in the early years doing weddings and photojournalism).

My current gear is:
Nikon D850, Z6 and D500 (D500 will soon be sold)
Nikon 14-30 Z
Tamron 24-70 2.8 (used once)
Nikon 300mm f2.8 (selling soon to fund 600mm)
Nikon 70-200 f2.8 E (I don't use often but when I do I am blown away at how sharp it is!)
Nikon 200-500 (I use it the most but find it slow and not long enough, however for $750 it is impossible to beat)
Nikon 105 Micro (in love with this lens! I use it the second most)
Nikon 1.4x II (will sell and update to III)
Nikon 2x III converters

So now that I have laid out all of what I have and what I am getting rid of lets talk about the 600mm!

As you all know a 600mm f4 is expensive as crap! Whatever brand of 600 I land on will dictate the brand I continue to build a system around.

I originally planned on going Nikon 600mm G used however looking into this further I plan on buying an E if I stay with Nikon. I am open to new or used so figure a budget of $9-12,500K.

I will want to invest into a new body as well so if Nikon D5 or D6 for improved AF performance, increased FPS, and high ISO capabilities.

This is where my dilemma begins!

I enjoy my DSLR and really only have one issue and that is the area of focus points. I fight with having an eyeball on a focus point with a DSLR and the Z6 solves all these problems however it sucks with subjects that are flying etc. Not looking to rehash the Z cameras, it is what it is right now. The mirrorless cameras are lighter which is a second plus but other than that I am fine with DSLR.

This leads me to what should I do? Do I invest into a Nikon 600 and D5 or D6? I will assume Nikon will come out with the Z camera we have all wanted and I can wait however a D5/6 body is a rather large investment along with the lens. I also don't see Nikon coming out with a Z mount 600mm for 5 plus years.

Do I go to Sony 600mm and buy a a9ii? If I went this route I would likely sell the D850, pick up a high MP Sony, a macro and the 200-600 zoom and call it a day. I would probably keep the Z camera with the 2 wide angles I hardly use for the time and replace with Sony as money and need make sense.

Do I go with Canon 600mm and buy a R5 or two or an R5 and EOS-1DX III? I would also do the same as above and buy a macro and super zoom and change out the Z and wide angles at a later date. I don't see Canon coming out with a new R series 600mm for a while. Canon R5 animal eye AF looks mind blowing! I can imagine having the camera doing the heavy lifting of tracking the eye and allowing me to focus on the composition I want and getting the shot would be worth its weight in gold!

The Canon and Sony 600 weigh the same with Nikon being heavier. The Canon and Sony cost about the same with the Nikon being a little cheaper. Sony bodies are cheaper with Canon and Nikon pro bodies about the same cost. Canon seems to beat everyone with buffer, fast cards. Canon and Nikon still have a legacy of glass that was and still is appealing for wanting/needing some specialty glass. This is a long term advantage but in the short term all 3 make new glass I would want and use the most.

I see using the 600, super zoom and macro the most. I am not heavily invested yet in Nikon so if I am going to change this is the time. I am looking at May next year to have all the cash to buy the 600mm and at least 1 or possibly 2 new bodies. If I go Nikon 600 then I have to stay invested in Nikon as the 600 would probably be used 80% if the time.

What would you do?

Thanks for all the comments and consideration!

David
In my mind it really comes down to weight and keeper rates for fast action.

Outside of that, stunning images can be made with any 600 f4 from the big three companies and any of their pro or “enthusiast“ bodies that have come out over the last few years.

I have the same bodies as you (just sold D500) and the 600E. Of course the auto focus system of the a9II sounds dreamy but Nikon will come out with a rival and for now, the D850 is more than capable of capturing action. The more appealing Sony factor to me is that the 600 f4 weighs just 109 oz! I thought my 600E was crazy light and that weighs 132oz. Even if you are always going to shoot off a tripod, what about traveling with the gear? That’s a huge advantage. So again, the filter chasing the latest and greatest for me is not all, but largely about weight.

As just a hobbyist, I’m sticking with Nikon and will wait for their pro mirrorless body. If for some reason it doesn’t work awesome with the FTZ adapter, I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it 😃

Gear and gear talk is definitely fun... good luck!

In my mind it really comes down to weight and keeper rates for fast action.

Outside of that, stunning images can be made with any 600 f4 from the big three companies and any of their pro or “enthusiast“ bodies that have come out over the last few years.

I have the same bodies as you (just sold D500) and the 600E. Of course the auto focus system of the a9II sounds dreamy but Nikon will come out with a rival and for now, the D850 is more than capable of capturing action. The more appealing Sony factor to me is that the 600 f4 weighs just 109 oz! I thought my 600E was crazy light and that weighs 132oz. Even if you are always going to shoot off a tripod, what about traveling with the gear? That’s a huge advantage. So again, the filter chasing the latest and greatest for me is not all, but largely about weight.

As just a hobbyist, I’m sticking with Nikon and will wait for their pro mirrorless body. If for some reason it doesn’t work awesome with the FTZ adapter, I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it 😃

Gear and gear talk is definitely fun... good luck!
Why did you sell your 600E? Your thoughts on the lens? What did it get in the used market?

Back