Light (but strong enough) tripod/head setup for Z9/Z180-600/Z800PF that works for both still and video?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a 5-6lbs carbon fiber tripod with both a gimbal and fluid head that I use for both video and still. It works very well. But when combining with the camera and lens it is getting too heavy and less comfortable to carry for a long distance. I am wondering if I could get recommendations for a light setup for tripod and head that is good enough for both still and video. I plan to get the Wimberley monogimbal to use with a monopod too, but afraid that it may not work well for video. I need about 60” for the maximum height (before putting the head on) and hope it can go as low as possible for shore birds. Shorter collapsed form would also be good for travel. I am not sure if the tripod with a center column that the height is adjustable is ok in term of video stability when at max height or not. In the past I use a tripod with no center column. More stable but a pain in the neck when need to adjust the height from legs. I think I am ok to pay around $3-500 for a tripod and maybe $3-500 for a good head, preferably the less expensive path.
What are the light setup that people use for their Z9/Z180-600/Z800PF for both still and video these days? My main things are birds.
thank you so much.

Last edited:
Hudson Henry does video and long lens work with his midrange model that he sells…but it’s not much lighter than what you have already. Might not be something you can do. And I think it's out of your budget anyway although not by much.

Last edited:
I have used the Feisol CT-3472 that has the option of a center column kit that can be added in seconds to gain more working height. The center column has 4x the rigidity of the usual tripod with a geared center column. Even raised to its maximum the support is rock solid with a 11 lb 600mm f/4 lens and camera mounted on a gimbal head.

Best overall gimbal I have found is the Gitzo gimbal that is fluid (grease) dampened and works well for video and still photography. For video I added a Robus RC-5570 that has a 55 lb load capacity and provision for switching out (without tools) from a flat base to a 75mm bowl for using a standard video head. I am using the Sachtler Ace XL head with the Robus legs. The Robus provides a working height of 70 inches and I can more height with the Sachtler video head.

I have not tested it out but with cameras with very good internal image stabilization I would expect that there is less need for perfect stability from the tripod and head being used. Owners of the OM-1 camera have produced excellent videos in the field shooting hand held.

I use the Gitzo Mountaineer Tripod which is a travel carbon fiber tripod. However, the ballhead I use from RRS (BH-40) is fairly heavy. I've never weighed the setup but I hike for long periods of time with it strapped to my backpack without much issue. It would be out of the budget range you've listed slightly (perhaps, haven't priced it recently) but I've taken it through torture the last 5 years and still works like new.

I have a 5570 and Gitzo gimbal head too, along with Mann 500s and 502 heads. They work fine for shootings I don’t have to move around too much (in the blind/waiting for birds etc.). I probably cannot lug around this setup much longer and I tend to handhold more these days but still need a tripod in case I get low light. So I will not use them all the time. With much better image stabilization for newer cameras and lenses these days, I hope a lighter setup might work. I think I could get by with the Gitzo 25xx series tripod for a still, but not sure how stable it is for video. I have used a 3-4 lbs carbon fiber tripod that has a collapsible center column with a 500MH head as a smaller set. It works ok but is much less stable when the column extends.

I am interested in Flexshooter too, but I see mixed opinions about this head. Also how good/practical it is to use the ball head in a vertical position as a gimbal head? I see the FLM has several new ball heads with good weight ratios and good prices out and think about it too. My ARCA B1 still locks up and will need a service to fix it. As much as I like the arca, getting it locked up in the field is not a good experience at all.

Maybe it is too good to be true, but have people used a lighter tripod/head (for 1.8m/6’ person) with good success for both still and video?

Last edited:
I have a 5-6lbs carbon fiber tripod with both a gimbal and fluid head that I use for both video and still. It works very well. But when combining with the camera and lens it is getting too heavy and less comfortable to carry for a long distance. I am wondering if I could get recommendations for a light setup for tripod and head that is good enough for both still and video. I plan to get the Wimberley monogimbal to use with a monopod too, but afraid that it may not work well for video. I need about 60” for the maximum height (before putting the head on) and hope it can go as low as possible for shore birds. Shorter collapsed form would also be good for travel. I am not sure if the tripod with a center column that the height is adjustable is ok in term of video stability when at max height or not. In the past I use a tripod with no center column. More stable but a pain in the neck when need to adjust the height from legs. I think I am ok to pay around $3-500 for a tripod and maybe $3-500 for a good head, preferably the less expensive path.
What are the light setup that people use for their Z9/Z180-600/Z800PF for both still and video these days? My main things are birds.
thank you so much.

It's hard, maybe impossible for that price. The main issue is the twisting of the legs as you pan, combined with less-than-smooth fluid-head when tilting. If you lock the head and hang some weight on the tripod you can get okay results, but be prepared to stabilize in post (so leave room for cropping). The longer the lens, the harder it is to accomplish.

I use an RRS and a Cartoni 75mm head. I'm very happy with the weight and results, but you're looking at about $2,500 before the base plate and other accessories.

zf-7.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

A favorite of professional wildlife videographers was the Gitzo 2541 LVL tripod with its quick level head. It is rated for a load of up to 26 lb and is quite good for a 3.5 lb tripod. No leg flex when fully extended and a good spider design to minimize torsional flexing at the tops of the legs. I have been using it since 2013 for still and video shooting in the states.

With most lenses today weighing half of what they did 15 years ago there is less demand on the tripod with mirrorless cameras. There are however many tripods sold that have exaggerated load ratings. More than a few I have bought and returned when I found visible leg deflection with a fraction of the rated load applied to the tripod. Torsional flex is another matter and with heavier and longer lenses this is a problem - especially with the Giottos tripods. I have returned tripods made by Oben, Giottos, Slik, Induro, and Gitzo, that showed obvious design or engineering limitations.

I use two setups. For my Blackmagic Ursa g2 is use miller legs and Manfrotto nitro head with a locking base place - total cost oif about $4000. With this I get solid pans and tilts. However, it is HEAVY and I find I can no longer hike with the combo. So I now have a Z8 and older Manfrotto carbon legs and smaller head which is great for carrying, but, it cannot match the Miller/Nitro for stability. Always a cost.

I added the Robus RC-5570 tripod for primarily video use. It has both a flat plate and also a 75mm bowl mount included along with an excellent carry case and sells for $450. I use a 75mm video head on the tripod, a Sachtler ACE XL one that sells for less than $700. At a total cost of $1,300 including plates it is a great budget setup for video.

The 5.6 lb Robus supports a load of 55 lbs and provides a very stable platform. The Sachtler head only has a 17 lb load capacity but that is enough with the lenses being used that all weigh less than 6 lbs and with the camera and audio gear have a total weight of less than 11 lbs and within the capabilities of this head. Total weight of the Robus tripod and the Sachtler head is less than 10 lbs and so easy for me to carry around in the field.

Back