Light, Folding Gimbal Head(s)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Leofoto's recent innovations. The PG-2S weighs 0.85kg only. Waiting on Leofoto to offer versions with a QR Lever Clamp (they already sell the mechanism in their Lever Clamps.)

This item (there are two of them, actually) would still be way more expensive if made by say, RRS. The truth is that Chinese manufacturers are far along the learning curve when it comes to designing and making camera gear. Leofoto and also Benro were notorious in the past for pirating existing designs by makers like Gitzo; there were lots of intellectual property rights issues. But now these and other companies are designing their own gear and in some cases are surpassing the non-Chinese companies. Anyone with knowledge of the history of technology, manufacturing, and the movement of capital internationally could see this coming. Foreign companies move their assembly operations to a country with cheap labor in order to keep costs down, and the process begins, ending with them having "inadventently" created competitors that might well put them out of business.

looks pretty neat. I need to do more research and understand how the folding mechanism works before I would trust it. I imagine if it were as strong and safe as a normal gimbal head, other manufacturers would've already done it

Mmm, clever but the price for made in China……Ouch

meh. it's cheaper than most of the alternatives, and basically everything is made in China these days. even companies advertising "Made in the USA" really mean "parts from China, that we shipped to California and then put together in a shop".

and FWIW - Leofoto's gear is all excellent. I sold all my Gitzo stuff to swap to Leofoto for money/weight savings and it was a fantastic decision.

This item (there are two of them, actually) would still be way more expensive if made by say, RRS. The truth is that Chinese manufacturers are far along the learning curve when it comes to designing and making camera gear. Leofoto and also Benro were notorious in the past for pirating existing designs by makers like Gitzo; there were lots of intellectual property rights issues. But now these and other companies are designing their own gear and in some cases are surpassing the non-Chinese companies. Anyone with knowledge of the history of technology, manufacturing, and the movement of capital internationally could see this coming. Foreign companies move their assembly operations to a country with cheap labor in order to keep costs down, and the process begins, ending with them having "inadventently" created competitors that might well put them out of business.
Exactly why I won’t buy from Leofoto. Based on principles and integrity. Not suggesting others do the same.

Interesting observations. Some Chinese manufacturers re outsourcing things to Vietnam or elsewhere because it is more efficient and price effective to manufacture. Ironically, I purchased a lawn dethatcher from a Chinese company, Senex, and it was assembled in Mexico. I would suspect it is a way to get around tariffs and use NAFTA.

American small machine shops closed by the thousands after the 2008 bankster crash of the economy. In China the small manufacturers get financial aid from the Chinese government which is a huge advantage over businesses in the USA. RRS was innovative before its owner moved the company to Utah and no it produces nothing that cannot be surpassed by products from China and Taiwan.

Please keep the comments related to the product introduced in the original Post - and other competing products regarding quality, price, etc.

NO political discussions, please.

When I last researched, RSS and Acratech are unobtainable in most markets outside of N America. Their choice, including discontinued products such as the PG-CC cradle plate for gimbals.

Leofoto are designing their own products, as in these new gimbals and many other tripod related products. The tripods and plates are hard to find equivalents especially the diversity of options in sizes and weights etc

The quality of Leofoto stands up in the field, according to outdoor photographers in southern Africa. IME the standard of metallurgy and cap screws etc is significantly better than Sirui, which I tested ~6 years ago.

It's a similar story with NiSi - their grad filters have taken over from the likes of Lee, and far better quality. Also Better quality and innovative adapters for UWide lenses. Two examples are the 14-24 f2.8S Nikkor and 15 f2.8AIP Zeiss,

Last edited:
Back