Lightroom Generative AI

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

PhilG

Supporting Member
I have found the Generative AI function in Lightroom to be very useful in certain circumstances. Have others had similar experiences? If you have any examples feel free to share. I have included one below.

Below is an original photograph. I found the shadows on the body of the elk from the antlers to be distracting and wanted to get rid of them. I tried a couple of things that didn't provide very good results and then used the Generative AI function did a really good job.

2024-09-29_19-10-00.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Here is the updated photograph. I obviously changed a number of things, but the antler shadow was corrected by Generative AI function.

Z8F_6878-Edit-4K.jpg

I love how you’ve captured the bull bugling, and you’ve done something creative with Gen Remove. But, there’s still shadow on the antlers. As a viewer, and thinking the intent is for realism, the anomaly makes me wonder why there are no shadows on the elk’s body.

Even so, I’m not one to criticize the use of AI tools in photography. Photography is art, and the artist must be free to express their creativity as they see fit. 😊

I love how you’ve captured the bull bugling, and you’ve done something creative with Gen Remove. But, there’s still shadow on the antlers. As a viewer, and thinking the intent is for realism, the anomaly makes me wonder why there are no shadows on the elk’s body.

Even so, I’m not one to criticize the use of AI tools in photography. Photography is art, and the artist must be free to express their creativity as they see fit. 😊
If the angle of the elk head was only slightly different, the antler shadow on the body wouldn't have been present but it still would have been present on the antlers, so I imagined it that way. I thought about modifying the antlers to remove the shadows, or just not changing it at all and leaving the shadows as they were.

This brings up the question of what if any modifications to your image should be made by someone. Except for the antler shadow removal, the corrections on color and light represent the scene as I remember it. The original RAW is much darker than the real scene.

Thanks for responding.

If the angle of the elk head was only slightly different, the antler shadow on the body wouldn't have been present but it still would have been present on the antlers, so I imagined it that way. I thought about modifying the antlers to remove the shadows, or just not changing it at all and leaving the shadows as they were.

This brings up the question of what if any modifications to your image should be made by someone. Except for the antler shadow removal, the corrections on color and light represent the scene as I remember it. The original RAW is much darker than the real scene.

Thanks for responding.
I noticed the same thing as @JAJohnson but didn't mention it because I tend to be hyper aware of lighting angles etc. and others might not notice. Manipulating shadows can be a touchy business depending on the audience.

Back