Lightroom not building all previews z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I just tried to switch the way I import from standard to embedded sidecar to speed up my sports culling. Seemed pretty simple to use the embedded preview in library mode to rate. But it seems that when I import a lot of photos only the first 30-100 or so create previews the rest are all standard. I tried a few times and the same thing happens. I did some googling and it seems to be a known Lightroom bug for the z9 and now people are saying for the z8. Anyone have this issue or a fix?

AFAIK embedded previews do not need to be built - they come w/the RAW file; using them speeds up the import process, as LrC does not have to build previews. However, LrC will still build standard previews as you browse through your imported images or edit them, since embedded previews are not sufficient for these actions.

I just tried to switch the way I import from standard to embedded sidecar to speed up my sports culling. Seemed pretty simple to use the embedded preview in library mode to rate. But it seems that when I import a lot of photos only the first 30-100 or so create previews the rest are all standard. I tried a few times and the same thing happens. I did some googling and it seems to be a known Lightroom bug for the z9 and now people are saying for the z8. Anyone have this issue or a fix?
What are you calling "previews"? Are you referring to the thumbnails in grid view or the image in loupe view? From my understanding the only advantage to using the imbedded jpegs is for using grid view. As soon as you go to loupe view or compare then LR builds a standard preview. So if you're tabbing through images in loupe view you'll have to wait for standard previews to generate.

AFAIK embedded previews do not need to be built - they come w/the RAW file; using them speeds up the import process, as LrC does not have to build previews. However, LrC will still build standard previews as you browse through your imported images or edit them, since embedded previews are not sufficient for these actions.
if you import your photos and choose built previews “embedded & sidecar” it will import them and show you the embedded preview to scroll thru in library mode. This way you can cull thru them fast from photo to photo without Lightroom taking the time to load the full image. One that’s done build standard images for the remainder of your photos instead of on all the ones even the ones your removing. It’s a lot faster.

What are you calling "previews"? Are you referring to the thumbnails in grid view or the image in loupe view? From my understanding the only advantage to using the imbedded jpegs is for using grid view. As soon as you go to loupe view or compare then LR builds a standard preview. So if you're tabbing through images in loupe view you'll have to wait for standard previews to generate.
When you import your photos under build previews if you choose embedded & sidecar when you import your photos it will just show the jpg preview and you can cull thru them very fast going thru the photos without having to wait for them to load the images it’s just showing you the preview. Has nothing to do with loupe view.

When you import your photos under build previews if you choose embedded & sidecar when you import your photos it will just show the jpg preview and you can cull thru them very fast going thru the photos without having to wait for them to load the images it’s just showing you the preview. Has nothing to do with loupe view.
So what are you saying, it works with all other cameras other than Z8/9? What are you using as reference that says previews aren't built when using loop view? I'm certainly no expert but everything I've seen/read says the imbedded images only help when viewing low resolution previews. A simple "fix" for culling purposes is to use lower resolution standard previews.

So what are you saying, it works with all other cameras other than Z8/9? What are you using as reference that says previews aren't built when using loop view? I'm certainly no expert but everything I've seen/read says the imbedded images only help when viewing low resolution previews. A simple "fix" for culling purposes is to use lower resolution standard previews.
Yes. My reference is say I’ll import 1,000 photos and check the embedded and sidecar option it will only show the first say 30 to 60 images in the “embedded preview” mode and they rear it built standard previews for. It’s easy to tell because the first 30 have an icon on the lower filmstip image and as you click thru the images to view them it actually says embedded preview on it. Then as I get farther down my images that all is gone from the lower filmstrip item and the actual image.

Here is a link I found with other people having the same issue I actually found a few different post like this. Maybe they explain better what’s going on.

Back