Limit AF Area Mode not working

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a Z8 and in Focus>Limit AF Area mode, I unchecked a couple of Dynamic Area modes. However, when I cycle through the AF Area Modes, they all show up — even the unchecked ones. What am I doing wrong?

If you are talking about the Cycle AF-area mode function and have that assigned to a button, then you have to go to Custom controls (shooting) menu and limit the AF-areas for the button you have that assigned to. This is where you limit the Af- area modes when using the Cycle AF-area mode function, not under Focus>Limit AF Area Mode.

Steve discusses this in his book, The Ultimate Nikon Z8/9 Setup Guide, on page 445.

I have the book and set up my camera per Steve's instructions on p. 350. (P. 445 applies to video which I don't shoot on the Z8.) When I said that I cycled through the modes, I was referring to cycling using the Info button or using the button on the lower left of the camera with the command dial.

Back