Lion breakfast (not too bloody)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Callie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
A great sighting at Rooiputs, Kgalagadi TFP. We spent >4h with these lions. Image of brother and sister having a last go at the eland. Mom had just left and the other sister, not shown, is the reason for the annoyed look on the face of the youngster on the left.

03513W D5OO 0963.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Love the light Callie, great capture
Thank you, Gordon.
Great shot; now what about the bloody ones. Did you see the Eland take down? How far did you have to drive to see this and how far from the lions were you?
Thanks, Michael.
No, no lion chase ever in > 40 years visiting our parks. Just happened on about 7 kills already in the eating stages on this trip, this being one of the best.
I have posted these lions before, not these images, with the story of when they were ± 3 weeks old.
Kgalagadi TFP is ±1000 km from us. Rooiputs is 25 km from Twee Rivieren, where we stayed.
The lions were quite close to the road. This is a large crop, as I did not want to show the carcass.
here are some previous images.
02941W D5OO 0971.jpg

02940W D5OO 0924.jpg

Thank you, Gordon.

Thanks, Michael.
No, no lion chase ever in > 40 years visiting our parks. Just happened on about 7 kills already in the eating stages on this trip, this being one of the best.
I have posted these lions before, not these images, with the story of when they were ± 3 weeks old.
Kgalagadi TFP is ±1000 km from us. Rooiputs is 25 km from Twee Rivieren, where we stayed.
The lions were quite close to the road. This is a large crop, as I did not want to show the carcass.
here are some previous images.
Thank you for indulging me. The lions indulged themselves. So there are parks closer to you? Do you drive or fly? Just curious what the locals do. We like hanging out with locals when we travel.

Interesting that the two share to bounty. Top Notch Photos!!
Thanks, Charles - they share, but only with the pride, and even then, snarling is normal.
BTW when we were in Africa we were told the lions are less likely to hunt to Elan due to the long sharp horn. What do you think of that?
Michael
Eland is large and a bit like domesticated cattle, not really a challenge for a lion. They do not have a lot of stamina compared to say a buffalo. The only time we see eland in the Kgalagadi is when it is extremely dry and they “come over” from Botswana side. They are normally weak because of the drought and easy prey for the Kalahari lions. This time round, all 7 kills we saw were eland, and we also saw various other eland carcasses across the park. The previous time we saw eland was Dec 2013. It is the only time we have seen fat lion in the Kalahari.

We have many and diverse parks in SA. If you Google https://www.sanparks.org/parks/kgalagadi

You can navigate to the Parks.

We normally go to Kruger (450 km) or the Kalahari (1000 km).

Kruger is about 300 km long, with many roads.

Kgalagadi has two roads and two link, dune roads between them.

The car is the blind and I drive where I need to go.

There can be too many people, especially in southern Kruger NP.

You must book a year ahead for Kgalagadi, otherwise you will not get a place to overnight. (I just confirmed our booking today for next October – and you must pay 50% deposit up front.

As you are not allowed to leave your vehicle except at designated areas, there is very little opportunity to mix with other visitors. I take photographs until dark if I can and do not like to talk while shooting as it takes the eye off the possible subjects.

Last edited:
Back