If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Got my Nikkor 800mm S PF f6.3 and good some initial shots. Here is on of a little Blue Heron just before sunset with the sun behind giving a gold glow to the water. Decided to crop to a 1X1. Thought the gold background may be too distracting. Had to do a little noise reduction due to the late evening. Shot at 1/1600, f6.3, ISO 1250 at 800mm with my Z9.
untitled-58-1013-5.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Although there is brightness in the background the bird is very well lit. Very nice image. Since you mention the noise reduction that you needed, perhaps using a lower shutter speed in the future can get you a lower ISO and less noise.

Thanx Daniel. I’m still learnig this lens. Also I was searching for flying birds so I had the shutter up high. I’ve got to get better at making adjustments for my surroundings. Thi bird flew off just after taking the shot. I missed that one.

I wasn't expecting it for several more months. Now I have to get some good photos to justify getting it. Continuously working on that one.
Yah I'm with you on that -- having to live up to the quality of my gear :) With my Z9 off to Nikon (it had a fall on a concrete floor) I'm sure that'll bring the lens this week (when I won't have a camera to attach it too LOL).

Nice photo! Kudos in catching it in an interesting pose.

With the neck stripe, long, straight mostly-yellow bill and white underside, it looks like it is a Tricolored Heron in non-breeding plumage.

Nice photo! Kudos in catching it in an interesting pose.

With the neck stripe, long, straight mostly-yellow bill and white underside, it looks like it is a Tricolored Heron in non-breeding plumage.
Probably is. I’m not the best at identifying many birds. I like to shoot birds but don’t have a great ID capability yet. Even though my wife calls me the bird nerd!!!

Probably is. I’m not the best at identifying many birds. I like to shoot birds but don’t have a great ID capability yet. Even though my wife calls me the bird nerd!!!
Rick, ID doesn't change the beauty of the bird or the skill with which you captured it, so it's somewhat immaterial. If you want ID info, I can usually provide it. I just need to know time, date and location of the photo. -- Chuck (I assumed that you photographed the heron in N. America)

P.S. Adult Little Blue Herons (both sexes) are dark blue-gray all over. Juveniles start out white for their first 8-9 months then begin a molt to dark plumage during their first spring. That change is patchy and lasts into summer. They are often referred to as Calico during that stage.

Rick, ID doesn't change the beauty of the bird or the skill with which you captured it, so it's somewhat immaterial. If you want ID info, I can usually provide it. I just need to know time, date and location of the photo. -- Chuck (I assumed that you photographed the heron in N. America)

P.S. Adult Little Blue Herons (both sexes) are dark blue-gray all over. Juveniles start out white for their first 8-9 months then begin a molt to dark plumage during their first spring. That change is patchy and lasts into summer. They are often referred to as Calico during that stage.
Thanx Chuck. I may call upon you to look like I know what I’m doing. This photo was taken I Florida. Once I started to really look at the bird I noticed the white coloring but you learned me so I can hopefully distinguish between the two better. In my defense I was really consentratimg on camera and lens and made an assumption after getting the file on the screen. I appreciate your knowledge and may call on you from time to time.

A couple of examples (Everglades NP, many years ago) immature and adult. The bi-colored bill is a good field mark for the immature bird and is present on the adult as well.

egrcae01.jpg

egrcae00.jpg

A couple of examples (Everglades NP, many years ago) immature and adult. The bi-colored bill is a good field mark for the immature bird and is present on the adult as well.

Ugh. That's a tough call as juvenile Snowy Egrets also have dark-tipped bills. Would be nice to see the legs to have two field marks to rely on.
The below images are from the Sibley iPhone app. The illustration of the foraging bird beneath the bill comparison illustration is of the Snowy Egret. Foraging LIttle Blues hunt with neck extended.

1665601816185.png