If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

VStammer

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I was just heading back to the vehicle after a long hike without seeing anything to warrant getting my camera and lens out of my backpack for when this guy popped up out of some tall dried clumps of grass on the ground, next to the trail and surprised both me and him! I was within 5-10 feet of him as he jumped up onto a branch from a downed tree; I froze, then reached for my cell phone, snapped a couple photos and then broke eye contact and pressed onward up the trail. At that point I was able to drop my pack and get my camera and big lens set up for which he seemed like he could care less and seemed all he really wanted was some sleep. (I waited and waited but he never left the perch and very rarely opened his eyes!)
VWS_8347-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Yeah, gotta agree wit Craig, that has the classic heart shaped face of a Great Horned Owl and not the split disc face of a Long Eared.

Either way, fantastic images and good on ya for your perseverance and getting these shots. Really nicely done!

Goes to show, it pays to put in the field time even on days when things don't seem to be working out. Great job.

Having never seen a Long Eared Owl in person I was going off of guide books; I also was baffled by the ear tuffs which to me resembled the Long Ear instead of Great Horned Owl...
I do appreciate I.D. help whenever I can get it. I would also concur gauged against the photo from Craig that mine more closely resembles a Great Horned Owl.
Thanks much for the help!:)

Having never seen a Long Eared Owl in person I was going off of guide books; I also was baffled by the ear tuffs which to me resembled the Long Ear instead of Great Horned Owl...
I do appreciate I.D. help whenever I can get it. I would also concur gauged against the photo from Craig that mine more closely resembles a Great Horned Owl.
Thanks much for the help!:)

They do look similar for sure, easy enough to do. Glad to have been of help. Cheers.

I was just heading back to the vehicle after a long hike without seeing anything to warrant getting my camera and lens out of my backpack for when this guy popped up out of some tall dried clumps of grass on the ground, next to the trail and surprised both me and him! I was within 5-10 feet of him as he jumped up onto a branch from a downed tree; I froze, then reached for my cell phone, snapped a couple photos and then broke eye contact and pressed onward up the trail. At that point I was able to drop my pack and get my camera and big lens set up for which he seemed like he could care less and seemed all he really wanted was some sleep. (I waited and waited but he never left the perch and very rarely opened his eyes!) View attachment 10923
Very nice capture of a Great-horned Owl. Good job! :)