Long exposure photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Okay, I've tried again and again to take nice, long exposure images of water and clouds and still don't quit get them. Any suggestions for getting started? Settings, etc. Thanks.

Could you post a couple of samples, with shutter speed, etc. and then explain why you are disatissfied with them? For flowing water, various shutter speeds from 1/4 sec to over 100 secs can work, depending on the effect you are looking for, the setting, etc.

Unfortunately, I haven't been keeping what I consider my failures - and there are no successes! I typically use f/18 or f/20, 100 ISO, and anywhere from 1/4 second to 1 second shutter speed. I also have a screw-on type variable ND filter, and I think it's the use of it that is giving me issues.

When I was learning about exposure and taking nice flowing water shots here is what worked for me:
- Get a small notebook and pen and write down the settings for each shot and describe what you saw at the scene as far as light features and dark ones
- Set up on a tripod and start taking photos adjusting the shutter speed in increments (use full manual mode). During the day I usually start around 1/60 and then take shots at 1/30, 1/15, 1/8, 1/4 etc
- Remember you will have to compromise on ISO and aperture as you slow down your shutter (I usually start upping the ISO and leave aperture alone).
- After you look at your photos at home make sure you note in your notebook what seemed to work.

For clouds, it was trial and error to get the look I wanted. It's an experience thing that you just need to work on. Also, don't throw away your photos. Referring to old photos helps you know if you are going in the right direction. Good Luck!

These are very good suggestions, thank you. I'll give them a try. Do you use an ND filter? I've started to adjust my settings before placing the filter on the lens and that's where I am having trouble. How do you handle that?

Unfortunately, I haven't been keeping what I consider my failures - and there are no successes! I typically use f/18 or f/20, 100 ISO, and anywhere from 1/4 second to 1 second shutter speed. I also have a screw-on type variable ND filter, and I think it's the use of it that is giving me issues.

Get a 10-stop, or maybe a 6-stop, ND filter, not graduated. Screw this on and use the Photo Pills app to set the camera. Take a long shot, 2-4 minutes, and this will get you much smoother water if that is what you want, say if you are at a lake and you want that soft, smooth look. You will need to experiment. I use a 10-stop made by Breakthrough Photography (expensive) but others are fine, too. Be sure to read up on using a 10-stop filter and shut out any light coming into your camera or you will get an odd color, sort of a purple fringe with the Breakthrough filter.

Last edited:
These are very good suggestions, thank you. I'll give them a try. Do you use an ND filter? I've started to adjust my settings before placing the filter on the lens and that's where I am having trouble. How do you handle that?
For up to 6 stop ND's I just let the camera's meter handle it. I usually shoot in aperture priority. If I need to make any adjustments it's to exp comp.

Thanks to all -- very much! A lot to absorb, but, like anything else, it'll take practice! I'm going to try your suggestions this weekend. I may not have time to get another filter -- 6 or 10 stop -- before then, but I will try what I have again, and look for one asap. Thanks again!

Back