Looking for a carrying case for a Nikon Z 180-600mm lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I would like to be able to have two lenses in the field and one camera body, but I don't want to carry my entire camera kit backpack.

SCENARIO: I would have my Nikkor Z 180-600 lens on the camera most of the time for bird photography, and have the Z 24-200mm in a carry bag when I wanted to take a quick handheld, landscape shot.

I would need a carry bag with a shoulder strap that's big enough to hold the 180-600 when I switched lenses. I'd also like the bag to be light. (i.e., 2 pounds or less).

I've looked on B&H but they don't have a carry bag big enough for the 180-600. I'm looking on Adorama, but what I've seen so far that is big enough is either heavy and a backpack design (i.e., ~4 lbs.) or expensive (~$300).

Does anyone know if there is a carry bag like what I'm describing?

Thanks for the help.

I actually have seen somebody using this Lowepro bag while walking around in the zoo in the zoo and he took a 180-600 out of it.
I talked to him and he seemed quite happy with it.
The length is just enough for the lens itself with reversed hood.
At Lowepro it is around 130$ and weighs about 1,2 kg.
But you might get it cheaper elsewhere or even second hand.

But if you are willing to improvise a bit, there might be somerthing smaller ...

This Lowepro Lenscase is just big enough to close it with the 180-600 in it with hood reversed.
It would fit better if you took the padding out of the top flap. Becasue you are just using it for carrying it on person that should still be safe.
Diameterwise it is big enough to take the 180-600 even with the tripod foot. I have the iShoot which is pretty flat. Not sure about other brankds.

You can carry it with a shoulder strap, on a waist belt or harness or you can use it as attachment to another bag or backpack with the right slip locks.
The nominal size on the label says 13 x 32 cm. Whether there is a slightly bigger one availbale - perhaps from another manufacturer - I'm not sure.
It's as small as you can probably get, but there isn't room for anything else but the lens itself. Your 24-200 will fell a bit lost in it though :) .

I found mine used at ebay but I would expect it to be about 60$ new.

Good luck.

IMG_3987.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
IMG_3988.jpg
IMG_3989.jpg

The Lowepro 13x32 takes the z8 with z70-200 attached, hood reversed, and room for a 1.4x TC but not the 2x. Takes the z100-400 as well. I wouldn’t risk the z180-600. Tne Lowepro 500aw takes it so does the 400 aw shown here…..I wouldn’t tavel with the camera attached …

IMG_2803.jpeg

Lowepro 13x32 with Z8 & z70-200 f2.8

IMG_2806.jpeg

IMG_2805.jpeg

Last edited:
Back