Looking for feedback - what would you have done differently

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I had an opportunity to photograph Swallow-tailed Kites this morning. They're only in our area for a short time and today was my first opportunity to get out to the field and take some shots. There was a decent cloud cover so not the best lighting for birds in flight, it even started sprinkling a bit towards the end. I was using my Z9 with the 600/6.3. SS 1/3200, f/6.3, ISO 3200. This photo has not been cropped at all, this is how close the birds came when hunting. Sadly, the photo is not very sharp so I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong. I have not edited it much at all in LR, only lightened the background (only the background) to make it stand out a bit. No other adjustments yet. Temperature was 80 with 60% humidity. Birds were flying out over open fields and photo was taken hand-held. Time was 11:00am. Auto-focus settings on continuous, wide large with subject detection, bird. Since the birds were swooping from the sky down to the fields it was easier to keep them in the larger focus box. The secondary subject detection box was in and out, not consistent. Is this soft image a result of heat haze? Humidity? Poor light? Too slow shutter speed? Poor panning technique? What do you think I did wrong, and what would you suggest doing differently? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Swallow-tailed Kite -6759.jpg
    Swallow-tailed Kite -6759.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
What focus settings were you using? Subject detection on or off? What tracking settings were you using? Were you keeping the focus box on the bird during flight or ???

What focus settings were you using? Subject detection on or off? What tracking settings were you using? Were you keeping the focus box on the bird during flight or ???
Good questions. I should have said that earlier. Continuous, wide large with subject detection, bird.
The birds were swooping from the sky in the background to the trees and grass, so it was easier for me to keep them in the wide large focus box. The secondary focus box was in and out.

Good questions. I should have said that earlier. Continuous, wide large with subject detection, bird.
Was object detection actually grabbing the bird or was it just the large focus box doing the work (green box)? I know in some situations (distance, speed, etc.), my object detection fails to grab so the camera is left to focus on the wing, tail, etc.

I have both and have read both. Tons of info in both resources, so I’m trying to take it a step further and narrow down specifically what I overlooked or did wrong.

I have been using the Auto AF assigned to my primary back button focus and find it does well for birds in flight in the open. I then have the display button assigned to a custom wide af area and finally the lens function button assigned to 3d-af. I use one of the last two if I can’t grab a lock with the Auto AF.

I also try to prefocus in general area where I expect to start capturing the bird as it’s very hard for the focus system to recognize a subject if totally out of focus.

I too strongly recommend Steve’s book(s).

Last edited:
All good advice from well experienced photographers. Don’t beat yourself up thinking that you blew it. You didn’t. Love what you came away with. Terrific line in the movie “Dances with Wolves” …Kevin Costner ”I’ve learned more from my failures than my successes” …..🙂

Back