Looking for monopod with QR release

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hi

I am looking for a quality monopod w/ a QR release that will allow to extend the leg while I hold the release (to get the correct height w/o adjusting the tightening "screws" on each leg section).

Like to be able to adjust height quickly in a tight area (in this case a safari vehicle).

Any recommendation?

thanks

This is the one I've seen - or very similar models by Manfrotto

I'm not sure if this model is still made

Really have to recommend iFootage Cobra 2 monopod. It has 1/4"-20 Male or 3/8"-16 Male mounting screw, to which you can attach the tilt-head solution of your choice. I use it with a Wimberly monopod gimbal, or for a BIG lens, with a Wimberly tripod gimbal. Both of these have QR releases. There are many other gimbal choices available.

Hi

I am looking for a quality monopod w/ a QR release that will allow to extend the leg while I hold the release (to get the correct height w/o adjusting the tightening "screws" on each leg section).

Like to be able to adjust height quickly in a tight area (in this case a safari vehicle).

Any recommendation?

thanks
Most safari vehicles are awkward to use monopods.......EXCEPT for the totally open vehicles used in South Africa. Using the Manfrotto Double Super Clamp, you can fasten the clamp onto the horizontal bar of the seats in front of you and the use the other part of the clamp to hold the monopod in vertical position. Using this set up you can then mount a gimbal and big lens onto the monopod. Seldom need to adjust height during safari. I recommend taking a rubber piece (like one can use to open jars) to place under the monopod so that it doesn't slip around on the floor of the vehicle.

I used this set up with great success in South Africa in 2015.

50e874768cfe5c202216713fd73e3293.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I used a monopod successfully in Africa on one photo safari where I needed to shoot "low" for eye to eye shots from a low window. If your vehicle is so equipped, a monopod can work if it can get short enough to use out of a low window. Mine had four or five extensions as I recall.

For situations where your are at more normal shooting levels, a bean bag on a proper support can work well. On one trip that was a L bracket attached to the bar at my seat in the Land Rover. A metal monopod attached to a bar with one or more Super Clamps might work depending on the bars available and their location in the Land Rover. The super clamp could ruin a carbon fiber monopod.

Google pictures of Land rovers in the country or camp where you will be shooting.You may find examples of home made supports that will work better than a monopod. And look at this product. It might give you some ideas

Last edited:
The use of the Super Double clamp will not harm a carbon fiber monopod.....unless, or course, one tightens it so extremely that it cracks the monopod! :eek:

FWIW......in Tanzania, Kenya, and Botswana, most vehicles are set up for photographers to use bean bags for shooting off the top of the vehicle or from the windows sills. Works great for all lenses, even my 600mm E f4!

After a few trips of getting my bean bags filled with rice once on location and then having these really heavy bean bags to move around (you are generally holding your camera+ big lens while moving the bean bag with one hand).....I got smart! I ordered buckwheat hulls from Amazon and filled my bean bags before the trip. The extra 5 lbs or so of weight in checked luggage was not a problem and the bean bags were significantly lighter to use.

Yes, I know that the rice used for bean bags is given to those in need in Africa. But I prefer the convenience of much lighter bean bags and am happy to contribute funds to buy rice for the needy. Win-win!

Hi

Any recommendation?

thanks
Manfrotto make monopods with QR and with Arca swiss heads...🦘

Hi! I've always been surprised that more do not use the Manfrotto 685B Neotec Monopd. I have it with Jobu Jr head with the swing arm removed. This makes it operate as in Steves' monopod video. The use of the little finger to release so that it can go from overhead to sitting on the ground in one push is terrific. I find the big knob that locks the Jobu Jr head to be really useful. A quick lock and you can firmly grab the side arm of the head and "crunch" it up or down very quickly by releasing with the little finger of the opposite hand. I have a RRS L-bracket on my gripped D850, so my Magpul strap which is always over my shoulder can be attached to the L-bracket in either portrait or landscape orientation. Great for carrying it with the leg extended. The leg is up under your armpit with the strap supporting the camera and lens. I also have a QD bracket on a long lens foot so that the strap can be split and attached to the lens foot and either side of the L-bracket for a long carry through the bush if you want to hand-hold.

I find it strange that the Manfrotto 685B monopod is discontinued. It is/was uniquely capable of being raised and lowered instantly, and there apparently is no other monopod out there like it. Meanwhile, I agree with people who say that the way to do in a safari vehicle (most of them, anyway), is with a good beanbag.

Finally, when I read "quick release" I thought immediately of the issue of being able to mount the lens/lens foot onto the monopod head quickly, e.g., with a quick-release lever such as those offered by Really Right Stuff. I have read some comments on the RRS quick-release monopod heads that there is a danger of the quick release lever snagging on something, opening, and dumping one's expensive rig onto the hard cold ground or street. I have found RRS quick release levers pretty sturdy, i.e., they don't open unless you pull the lever firmly, but hey, Murphy's Law, right?

I find it strange that the Manfrotto 685B monopod is discontinued. It is/was uniquely capable of being raised and lowered instantly, and there apparently is no other monopod out there like it. Meanwhile, I agree with people who say that the way to do in a safari vehicle (most of them, anyway), is with a good beanbag.

Finally, when I read "quick release" I thought immediately of the issue of being able to mount the lens/lens foot onto the monopod head quickly, e.g., with a quick-release lever such as those offered by Really Right Stuff. I have read some comments on the RRS quick-release monopod heads that there is a danger of the quick release lever snagging on something, opening, and dumping one's expensive rig onto the hard cold ground or street. I have found RRS quick release levers pretty sturdy, i.e., they don't open unless you pull the lever firmly, but hey, Murphy's Law, right?
I have several tripods - None of my Manfrotto tripods use their QR clamp system.
The Arca Swiss clamps require a little more care to connect - but are more reliable and much better value.
If the lever is a thing you desire then there are arca swiss clamps with a lever...🦘

FWIW......in Tanzania, Kenya, and Botswana, most vehicles are set up for photographers to use bean bags for shooting off the top of the vehicle or from the windows sills. Works great for all lenses, even my 600mm E f4!

After a few trips of getting my bean bags filled with rice once on location and then having these really heavy bean bags to move around (you are generally holding your camera+ big lens while moving the bean bag with one hand).....I got smart! I ordered buckwheat hulls from Amazon and filled my bean bags before the trip. The extra 5 lbs or so of weight in checked luggage was not a problem and the bean bags were significantly lighter to use.

Yes, I know that the rice used for bean bags is given to those in need in Africa. But I prefer the convenience of much lighter bean bags and am happy to contribute funds to buy rice for the needy. Win-win!
Agreed about the flight over. however i think we will have internal flights and I'll need to check about weight restrictions. We may end up buying a "luggage seat" to get us an extra (I think) 80 KG - 20 Kg of luggage allowance and 60 Kg pax weight allowance (of course I weigh more than 60 but that is a different story)

Agreed about the flight over. however i think we will have internal flights and I'll need to check about weight restrictions. We may end up buying a "luggage seat" to get us an extra (I think) 80 KG - 20 Kg of luggage allowance and 60 Kg pax weight allowance (of course I weigh more than 60 but that is a different story)
If you are going on a photo tour, they generally make arrangements so that you don't have to worry about severe weight restrictions on in-country flights. At least that has been the case on the internal flights we have made in Kenya, Botswana and South Africa.

Back