Looking for resources/guidance on post-processing -ideas.....

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi all:

I've been photographing birds for about 3 years now (in RAW) and I'm pretty happy with the shots I'm taking but I'm really struggling with how to be better at post-processing. I'm using DXO Photolab and I have a good handle on all of its features. My problem is I don't know what to use when, if that makes sense.

For example, I might watch a photography video where someone says, "you'll want to pull down the shadows to make this really pop". And I go, "that's awesome!" but I never would have thought of it because I don't really understand, yet, what I need to do.

So, long post to say, what are some good resources (books, YT vids, etc.) to teach me what I want to do in post?

Thanks and I hope this makes sense.

You might be interested in the tutorials linked below specific to DXO. Also, Photolab is very similar to Lightroom as far as the types of settings and sliders offered, so you tube tutorials related to Lightroom should be easy to transfer the general idea. Just open YouTube and search. Searching for Photolab gives some results but searching for Lightroom gives a lot more.

Last edited:
If you want an overview of the steps in digital photo processing, try this page https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-photo-editing-workflow.htm

It’s a bit specific to editors like Photoshop or Affinity Photo where layers control the sequence of processing, and a little less applicable to DxO or Capture One, but the logic of the workflow helped me understand how to get from a raw image to a finished photograph.

For more about the creative aspects of processing check out the Capture One tutorials. David’s comments on why he make changes are quite good; aimed at creating ‘normal’ good images rather than unusual, but a good introduction I found.

A good starting point are the books by Scott Kelby books where he will treat an image and illustrate the changes step by step using Photoshop or Lightroom. Most of the guides are going to be for Photoshop or Lightroom and worthwhile to either subscribe or to buy Lightroom Classic 5 or 6 on ebay.

Affinity has some excellent video tutorials and accessing them with a iPad while doing the work on an image with your computer is another option.

There is a considerable investment in time in learning to use an image editor so it pays to pick one you can stick with over time.

Rather than paying attention to the tool or slider being used, spend time understanding the destination. It starts with the image you plan to capture - before you even press the shutter. For example, with birds the lighting and sun angle is very important. The background and subject isolation are important. If exposure, timing, and the basic capture are correct, you have the raw material that can be edited. But editing is not a way to fix a major problem in the image you captured.

Try spending some time posting images in the critique section here in the forums. You'll certainly get some positive comments, but you'll also get some ideas for how you can frame, capture and edit the image. Understanding what the positives and negatives are in your image is important. If you can articulate what you are trying to do, we can help with the type of edits needed or useful.

Once you have an idea where you are going, there are usually different tools and methods to achieve the look or edit you want.

Back