Loss of sharpness with a 2x TC

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a Z 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. With my Z 2x TC, I get 140-400mm at f/5.6. If I now use my Z8 on APS-C mode, I would get an equivalent of 600 mm f/5.6 at the longer end. Has anyone tried this combination? If yes, what is your opinion on the image quality (I realise that there will be a slight drop in the image quality, but would it be acceptable?)

Secondly, the slight loss in image sharpness can be compensated using proper sharpening technique in post. So my second question is, should we really worry about the slight loss in image quality when using the above mentioned combo?

Impossible to say: "acceptability" is in the eye of the beholder. In my experience 2xTCs visually impact sharpness on all lenses. The loss of IQ may not be quite as noticeable on a quality f2.8 lens if you're shooting FX and are downrezing in post but it will most definitely be noticeable shooting DX due to fewer pixels and loss of light. But whether it's "acceptable" depends on the person/situation.

If you're asking the question I think you've got your answer. Only the fanatics among us are likely to notice the differences in the options you listed above.

I have Z 70-200 and Z 2x and they are quite sharp together. However I have only used my Z8 in full frame mode and never in crop mode. I don't think there is any difference in quality between switching to crop mode while shooting or cropping a full frame image in post (which is why I crop in post when needed). The only advantage of shooting in crop mode is the image in viewfinder is more magnified so it will be easier to follow distant subjects.

I have a Z 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. With my Z 2x TC, I get 140-400mm at f/5.6. If I now use my Z8 on APS-C mode, I would get an equivalent of 600 mm f/5.6 at the longer end. Has anyone tried this combination? If yes, what is your opinion on the image quality (I realise that there will be a slight drop in the image quality, but would it be acceptable?)

Secondly, the slight loss in image sharpness can be compensated using proper sharpening technique in post. So my second question is, should we really worry about the slight loss in image quality when using the above mentioned combo?
I think the question should be phrased differently, if you only have your 70-200mm lens with you, and have a distant subject, how would it look shot with a bare lens and cropped substantially versus using the 2X TC and not cropped as much.
PS. I have used the Z 2X TC with my 400mm f/4.5 and the 800mm f/4.5 and have flickr albums with these if interested:

...In my experience 2xTCs visually impact sharpness on all lenses. The loss of IQ may not be quite as noticeable on a quality f2.8 lens if you're shooting FX and are downrezing in post but it will most definitely be noticeable shooting DX due to fewer pixels and loss of light. But whether it's "acceptable" depends on the person/situation.
No peice of glass is optically perfect, so adding any to the image path between the subject and sensor reduces IQ. In addition, any IQ issues from the lens are going to be magnified, and possibly become more noticeable than what is produced by the base lens on its own.

At what level is the IQ falloff an issue; there is also the issue of whether we can even discern it on the tool we use to view our image. And, is the viewer studying the image so intently (or knows enough todo so) that they even care?

As far as shooting DX, the IQ loss should be less, as most lenses are optically better closer to the center of the lens disc.

I have the the 70-200 2.8 and both TCs. Using the TC 14 at 280 mm and f/4 gives a reasonable trade off between focal length, aperture and image quality. It is not as sharp as the primes. I could see the difference between the 70-200 + TTC14 and the 100-400 mm zoom that I had at the time. Difference was not large enough to see on most screens but was noticeable in larger prints. I did not use the TC20 with the 70-200. The loss of image quality was visible even on a computer screen. Post processing could improve the image but it could not match the results from the 100-400 mm. I print some of my images so I may be a little more picky than some users. For computer screen presentations (where most images are viewed), many would find the TC 20 to be acceptable.

The issue to me could be rephrased as follows:

if I shoot the 70-200mm f2.8 with the 2.0 tc attached, would I still be able to crop the resulting image and still have acceptable sharpness? This is equivalent because cropping is the same thing as switching to dx.

Before I got longer lenses I shot using the 70-200 with 2x tc. I did find those images reasonably sharp and I was able to crop a certain amount but not drastically.

I ended up with the feeling that I needed something longer to work with if I was going to shoot wildlife.

My next purchase was the 400mm f4.5 which was noticeably sharper than the 70-200 with tc. I never went back to using the 70-200 with 2x tc as I had no need.

If I found myself with only the 70-200 I would not hesitate to use the 2x tc with it but I would much rather have the 400.

By way of background a 2x on a 45 MP body is likely to provide more image resolution than no converter on a 24MP body.
A 24MP body generally provides distinctly more image resolution than the best slide film in the early part of this century.
Sometimes image content can to some be more important than printing at 6x4 foot size and viewing from 15 inches - as in IMO the film image below from. more than 15 years ago.
It prints well at A3 size.

Male Lions.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I have the z70-200 with the 2x as my stop gap - bought years ago - while I knew we’re waiting a couple of years for the 200-600 ( now of course we have it, the z180-600)
As it’s glass the 2xTC, it’s a true magnification while crop mode is just electronic- thus crop mode can be used for checking focus, it’s as easily done in post.
I now have the long zoom.
It’s been well reported just about everywhere that the 2x does soften the image slightly, but frankly, my images are for me, friends and family, then cropped for social media - so they’re all great!

Back