LRC/Photoshop Can't open some Z9 Raw files

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I was out getting used to my Z9 the other day. When I tried to download the files into lightroom there were a handful of files that lightroom could not read. All the files RAW. I tried loading them directly into photoshop with the same result. NX Studio, Topaz could read them just fine. These were 16 files in the middle of the shoot and they were in consecutive order. LRC/Photoshop/Camera Raw are all up to date. This is the first time I've had this happen. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this?

Other threads on topic; Adobe is not there yet with Z9. I use NX to download from camera, then importing them in with LRC. Intel Mac Pro.

Just a random thought, but any chance these were somehow construed as duplicates by Lightroom? An easy test would be to uncheck the 'don't include duplicates' box in the right hand panel. Other thought is they didn't get selected or inadvertently got deselected. Test would be to retry. I know these are basic, but it can happen.

Thanks for the replies. I used Photo Mechanic to download all the files. The majority imported into LRC just fine. I also tried importing the files directly into LRC from the card, no luck. I opened one of the files with Topaz Sharpen AI, saved it a a DNG then imported it into LRC without any issues. All the files where full size raw.

Remains a mystery then. Just thinking aloud, the file is not corrupted or other programs wouldn't open them. Lightroom is working or the other files wouldn't open. Were all files in same folder or were subfolders involved (thinking of the 'include all folders' checkbox in the import module).

Another test would be to change the filename of a problem file and try to import via lightroom. See if lightroom is triggering to something in the filename.

What version of LR and Photoshop are you using? The current versions should not have any issues with lossless compressed.

Try opening the files in Nikon NX Studio to make sure there are no issues.

I have opened Z9 raw files in Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop with no issues, both lossless compressed and high efficiency raw*. Adobe’s website seems to indicate that ACR is up to date for Z9 files, including high efficiency raw* and raw flies, except for certain Windows and Android systems. Usually LR and ACR are pretty much the same in their conversions.

If I am reading your post correctly, it sounds like some of your Z9 raw files were imported and could be opened in LR without issues, but not all of them? If so, it does not sound like there is any general lack of compatibility between your Z9 raw files and LR.

I wonder if there was something that corrupted the 16 files, if all the others were fine? I once had about a hundred D500 files on an XQD card (out of several hundred, the rest of which were fine) get corrupted when in Galapagos. While I am not 100% sure, I think the files were corrupted in the download from the reader to the laptop, not in the camera. I used a different card reader for the rest of the trip with no issues (and had backups of the images on an SD card used for backup in the second slot so did not lose anything).

I'm using the latest versions of LR and Photoshop. All files were lossless compressed files including the ones that would not open and all files open in NX studio just fine (as well as Topaz) If I save the file as a dng it opens in LR and Photoshop.

Back